2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Right Tool For the Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
I find them better than the Pittsburg crap you have.
I've had the Pittsburgh stuff for over 15 years, which is different than the Pittsburgh sockets of today, but I'll bet still better than the schlock you are so proud to own.

Last edited by Gary-L; 01-10-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have one of these.

I love it. Gets into tight spots without trouble, and locks as well. One of the best tools I have used for the purpose.
Agreed on the pliers.

http://toolmonger.com/2009/10/06/fle...-clamp-pliers/

~$25 at napa

Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

So let's just settle this once and for all and agree that my dangly hangs lowest.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dont be sooo proud of Snap-on. This is from my pressure washer, notice MADE IN CHINA!!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Everything is made in china. Good luck finding ANY tools that are actually worth a crap, that are made here in the states. I have two different versions of craftsman tools, old ones, made here, and newer ones, made in china. It is EASY to tell which one is which..... Unfortunately, I don't see any of that changing any time soon.

Mac tools might still be made here in the states, but, they command almost as hefty a price as snap on..... and trying to chase down the truck isn't always fun either..... One of the main reasons I went with mainly craftsman tools for home use was: Sears is damn near always open. Now they are closing the store here.... Time to look for the DEEP discounts, and replace some tools.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

I have two different versions of craftsman tools, old ones, made here, and newer ones, made in china. It is EASY to tell which one is which.....
And that's why it pays to shop estate sales, garage sales, and the like if you don't need the tool right now. A 25 year old Craftsman ratchet that's still nice and tight is worth more than a brand new one, but no one ever asks anywhere near the new price for them.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Everything is made in china. Good luck finding ANY tools that are actually worth a crap, that are made here in the states. I have two different versions of craftsman tools, old ones, made here, and newer ones, made in china. It is EASY to tell which one is which..... Unfortunately, I don't see any of that changing any time soon.

Mac tools might still be made here in the states, but, they command almost as hefty a price as snap on..... and trying to chase down the truck isn't always fun either..... One of the main reasons I went with mainly craftsman tools for home use was: Sears is damn near always open. Now they are closing the store here.... Time to look for the DEEP discounts, and replace some tools.
Craftsman has been shiat since the early 1990s. I was so pissed at the crap quality of some of the ratchets and other pieces of a couple of tool kits I bought that I swore to never buy that garbage again.

Stahwille and Hazet are German/European Union made and damned good stuff. I'm leery of anything made in Taiwan, which is what a majority of Northern Tool & Equipment's stock is (they have a store in OKC). I know some stuff from Taiwan is good, the problem is I don't know whose to get, hence my questions about Proto and Blackhawk. Koken is quality from Japan and will be gracing my toolbox soon.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Since you mentioned S-K, they are also very good tools. 90% of my boxes are filled with them.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about proto tools but their boxes are solid, have one in the garage my dad has had for years

Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Proto is one of the brands that has gone down in quality kind of like Craftsmen. They were awesome tools back in the day, but now Stanley owns/makes them. Nuff said. Stanley needs to stick to carpenter hand tools as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply: The Right Tool For the Job