2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

pontificating about sensors.. love and hate.. such things as this..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:29 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pontificating about sensors.. love and hate.. such things as this..

sensors are good, no?

then why is it when we get the infamous CEL, it's at least AS often a sensor as it is something wrong the sensor is telling us is wrong?

why isn't there redundancy? As much as it pains me to put a $100 sensor on the truck, it pains me even more when I go through the effort to look within the realm of the bad sensors area of responsibility, just to find it's the sensor itself that is bad.. If there were two sensors, and the PCM KNEW there were two of them, and one went bad- it would be capable of telling you 'hey dummy, one of your sensors is bad'.. or 'hey dude, something is wrong, and it ain't a sensor'.. but it doesn't.. it leaves you with a CEL dummy light and a question mark hovering over your head like a cartoon character..

so, if these sensors are 'so important to engine management', why is it the sensor is the one that gives up the ghost more often than the component part?

and.. wtf is with some brands of sensors working on these rigs, and some NOT? THAT, is a mind eff.. you have something go wrong, and after narrowing it down to a sensor, you put a new one in it.. just to get the code again.. and after another lengthy episode of t/s'n, discover it is a bad sensor..

I wanna trade in the white coat for a dang coverall.. I'm just bitching here, but the way I figure- the engineers should either go all in and do sensor redundancy, or get rid of the things..

/end rant...

Last edited by drewactual; 05-14-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:58 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dunno man but my truck been running like crap and idles like crap for last 5 months .. i been waiting for a light so i can fix the problem lol

Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

The reason some sensors work and some don't is the same as any product... some companies make them on the cheap, others make quality parts.

Bosch, for example, has a pretty bad reputation for a lot of things anymore, the most prominent one for our trucks being oxygen sensors. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Denso, on the other hand, makes OEM oxygen sensors, and are usually very high quality. NGK/NTK also makes decent quality units.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how you feel. I absolutely HATE all of this electronic garbage on vehicles! I guess that's why I love my 1969 Chevy pickup so much. Simple to work on. All you need is fuel, air, and spark. If you don't have one of those, it is pretty straight forward to figure it out.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Well, since we only deal in two dimensions, redundancy would add cost, but, have no real redeeming features. (like, additional safety margin you would need in say, and airplane.....) There is no back up for steering either..... which you would think would be a rather critical area for safety systems......

Old 05-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights
i dunno man but my truck been running like crap and idles like crap for last 5 months .. i been waiting for a light so i can fix the problem lol
vacuum leak...Cracked head. Thats what happened to me.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

what ive noticed in my 23 short years of life is that products have gone from being good quality/quanity at a good price....now they use crummy parts and jack up the prices....its stupid how this world works.

People who make the sensors dont cre about quality nowadays...they care about $$$$$$

Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive come to think that my governer preasure sensor or wut ever it is. is bad my truck hits rev limiter on going from 1st to 2nd its not the tv cable im adjusted it and it changed my shift patterns just doesnt fix my problem

Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgeman2289
ive come to think that my governer preasure sensor or wut ever it is. is bad my truck hits rev limiter on going from 1st to 2nd its not the tv cable im adjusted it and it changed my shift patterns just doesnt fix my problem
Yep, thats the most common problem.

Quick Reply: pontificating about sensors.. love and hate.. such things as this..