2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Herculiner

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Herculiner

I just saw a Herculiner commercial that had guys beating on it with hammers with the claim that it won't chip, flake or peel.
What a load of crap.
Herculiner will get torn up if you hammer on it or drag anything heavy across it. It will also fade and pull away from itself in such a way that it looks like a dried up lake bed after a few months in the sun.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^[/rant]

[rant]

Someone needs a beer.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I already had a couple when I posted this. But yeah, that stuff failed the hammer test and I stripped it off the ridge on the front of the tailgate when I dragged a few 6' long by about 12" around logs out of the bed.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

I have used Herculiner a bunch of times on other trucks(painted a whole chevy blazer with it) Plus have done my deer bumper, my rockers and now my bed with it.(and other peoples bed). Not once have I had a pealing/chipping/cracking/fading issue... Although I do use 4 coats of it plus 2 coats of UV protection. In fact I have 2 extra gallons I need to figure out what to do with(thinking painting floor of interior)... How did you prep your bed? Sand it or just use the green scuff pad? Did you do a VERY light first coat and let it dry, then do your second coat? Did you use the uv protecter?

Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I sanded it with 80 grit sand paper after cleaning it out and letting it dry. Then I cleaned all the sanding dust out so it had a rough surface to stick to.
I put a thin first coat and let it dry then a couple more on the floor and I think only one more on the sides of the bed.
I didn't use the UV protector because the instructions said that it was only required if you wanted it to stay shiny and I don't care about shine.

I've been thinking about getting some Rustoleum bed lining spray and just spraying it right on top of the Herculiner but I might try to get some more Herculiner and do a few more coats.

I called Herculiner a few months after putting it on and they told me that I should have used the UV protector to keep it from spreading away from itself which is contradictory to what the instructions say. Then they told me that they would send a replacement gallon and the UV protector so I could fix it. Three months after that I called them again because they never sent it. I got the same story about sending more to me and it's been a year or more and it still hasn't come.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Try emailing them and see if that works. Yea the uv coat makes all the difference. Btw DO NOT use the rustoliem stuff.. I have heard bad things about it...

Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have herculiner on my fenders, and now just finishing rolling it on a set of beat up roll-bars i bought. After 1 year on my fenders, it looks kind of dull from dust and stuff, but when I wash the truck it looks great. Not a single scratch, or tear yet. Ofc, im not dragging logs across my fenders either. anyways, im very satisfied with the results.

My buddy did the same thing except went the cheaper route with the rustoleum bed liner, and im not sure if he didn't stir it every 5-10 minutes, as I'd suggest doing, just to keep the chunks in the mix, or what, but his bed liner turned out like crap imo. He did basically the bottom third of his truck with it, and it didn't have the rubber chunks in the liner like my fenders did. So not sure if he didn't stir it properly, or if just poor quality product. In my opinion, I'd go with herculiner, and 2-3 light coats. Shouldn't have any problems with it, as long as you repair any rust behind it. (learned the hard way, rubber compound doesn't stop rust.) I'll post a pic when my roll bars are installed. Only have the top tube left to do, and then I'll bolt it all together and take a pic. Probably wont drill into my bed and bolt it down though until I have the lights I want to install on it. Should look good, if my imagination serves me well

Old 06-01-2011, 03:18 AM
garam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the Rustoleum bed liner on the bottom section of my truck, like offroadjoshe's truck looks, except I didn't go all the way around the fender wells. The stuff did better than I thought it would. Had some drip on the exhaust tip and its still there after several months.
Tried it on the plastic / rubber like bumper shrouds (not the metal bumper). I just scuffed them up with 180 cleaned them then brushed one thin coat on it about three weeks ago. The directions said it was only for metal but I figured what's to loose? The pieces all ready look like crap and wanted to eventually replace them. Turned out fine, and has held up with no signs of cracking or peeling. The past few days I've been climbing on it, standing on it and the stuff still looks good. I thought surely the stuff would have cracked and peeled but it didn't.
However.... I found out by accident it doesn't like 3M adhesive remover and a scratch pad to well. The bed liner didn't come off but the small section that did come into contact with it just looks faded.

I plan on doing the whole bed when I get the truck repainted again.

Another thing I noticed with the roller that comes in the Rustoleum bed liner kit... it will get a flat spot on it after it sits up over night. The directions say to put one coat on wait over night then put another coat on it. It further tells you to put the roller in a zip lock bag to keep it from drying out over night. Well the flat spot can effect the finish some. You can't see it looking straight at it or looking down the side of the truck. But if you look at from the right angle you can see it.
Next time I'm going to try hanging the roller to see if that will help. Maybe even getting a second one for it. I never tried the Rustoleum spray on bed liner but I can tell you the Rustoleum spray on under coating is crap!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:19 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain

i just got some.. was thinking bout doing it this weekend. was thinksing 2-4 coats would be idea!

Quick Reply: Herculiner