2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Collapsed tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That sucks that it got broke, hope they take of it for you. You might be ok for now. Put the hose on so it's pushing towards the tank, or get a longer one.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:09 PM
sarmikgar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to post with the install details, and a new problem which I think is the plenum gasket.

After pulling out the stock tank it was evident that the filler neck and the neck vent(part that broke) where in very differant locations than the original. I had to get some heater hose for the vent and cut a rad hose for the filler, both of these will need replacement asap of course, but thats all I could find, found a place here in town that should have what I need to replace those hoses.

I am pretty sure this was the right model, but wrong year gas tank. I got new straps and at first didnt think they were correct but eventually the tank pulled up into place.

On my way up the mountain I noticd the truck felt pretty weak, I was getting some stumbling under load in OD and noticed some "tinking" sound on the steeper parts which I thought first to be pebbles hitting the skid plate, or maybe converter, when in 3rd it seemed to pull fine. Got up to the campsite and checked fluids, oil was over a qt low from where I put in 500 miles ago when oil was changed..

On the way down the truck ran fine, dropping over 4k ft. in altitude I had no issues, get to the first slight, long incline and truck feels weak again, can only pull 62ish mph in OD. Back in town now we stop at a Jack in the Crack and in the drivethru the temp starts rising, hovering over the last 0 in the 200(I just put in new therm, neck and upper hose last month and trck hasnt been over 200* since). I stop and park for a few mins while we eat and then drive the 3 miles to home with a cooling off temp at about 205*-210*ish.

On the way up the mountain I thought the trans was dieing, or the new fuel pump was poop, but I really think it could be plenum now, showing all the symptoms no idea why the sudden rise in temp, have driven it since and runs at 200*-205* between here and work, feels a little weak. If I jump on it from a stop I cant get any wheelspin, takes off like a 3 cyl geo metro.

Looks like Ill be contacting Hughes soon, but any other suggestions greatly appreciated!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
sarmikgar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled the air filter housing off today and looked down the t/b, looked dry at first, but then I found towards the front it is all shiny and oily.

Just finished ordering the plate from Hughes and got the accel tune up kit with it along with some gaskets and the intake bolts.

Truck has gotten $1400 thrown at it the last 2 months, which I think is kinda nice, but my wife isnt as happy lol.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmikgar
Pulled the air filter housing off today and looked down the t/b, looked dry at first, but then I found towards the front it is all shiny and oily.

Just finished ordering the plate from Hughes and got the accel tune up kit with it along with some gaskets and the intake bolts.

Truck has gotten $1400 thrown at it the last 2 months, which I think is kinda nice, but my wife isnt as happy lol.
Yeah, I had that problem too...... buy a truck, spend a grand getting it fixed..... ouch. I figgered it was going to require some work, but, had I known just how MUCH work, I would not have paid as much as I did for it...... Oooops. Live and learn.

Quick Reply: Collapsed tank