2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Makes me think...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 AM
a-master
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Makes me think...

My dad has a 2001 Toyota Sienna with 250k on the clock with nothing more serious than a timing belt that wasn't even bad, just preventative maintenance. It gets a Wally world synthetic special with a FRAM filter every 6k, and brakes when it need's 'em. So simple. Drives like it's brand new off the lot, and it's not babied that badly.

I realize its no where near as cool as a truck, but damn, that's a feat for any gas powered vehicle.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

At one point, the American car companies could build cars that would last several hundred thousand miles as well..... then along about the 70's and 80's, build quality took a serious nose dive, and it has gotten worse since then. The Japs, on the other hand, were building crap in the 60's and 70's, and figgered out, if they wanted to sell cars here, they needed to be of higher quality. They surpassed the American manufacturers easily, and have stayed that way.

These days, with more electronic doo-dads than you can shake a forest at making their way into cars/trucks, and the need for electrical engineering degrees to even consider being able to work on 'em..... along with outsourcing and such, build quality is some better than it was, but, a long way from what it could be. It's that whole "planned obsolescence" thing. Car companies don't want to build a car you can drive a million miles, that would cut into their ability to sell you another one in 50,000 miles....

Old 07-02-2011, 12:24 PM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Car companies don't want to build a car you can drive a million miles, that would cut into their ability to sell you another one in 50,000 miles....
Ain't it the truth...

Old 07-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

My mom has a 1990 Buick Riviera, 3.8L V6. She is the only owner, she bought it brand new.

21 years later, it has over 300,000 miles, Original engine,and transmission. Only thing she's ever done is oil changes, tires, brakes, batteries, and an alternator once. She still drives it all the time, and says she would still keep it over her 03 Monte Carlo SS. I don't think she will ever sell it. I think at this point, she just wants to see how long it will actually go. lol I will completely restore it for her one day.

Our 1991 Cadillac Brougham (also bought brand new) has almost 200,000 still with the original engine and transmission. But it's had some repairs.

But yeah, that Buick has been an amazing car.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

My 600 dollar, very well abused, and not very maintained at all....... 92 Astro AWD has 218K on it..... I still have less than a grand stuck in it...... I figgered, for the price I paid, I could afford to put a bit of money into it, and drive it till it blew up...... that was two years ago......

Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My 600 dollar, very well abused, and not very maintained at all....... 92 Astro AWD has 218K on it..... I still have less than a grand stuck in it...... I figgered, for the price I paid, I could afford to put a bit of money into it, and drive it till it blew up...... that was two years ago......
That sounds like my 91 Camaro. Previously owned by an old lady that knew how to drive it and didn't worry about how it was running as long as it would go. I gave $1000 for the car and have about $300-400 in repairs in it. It has 200,000 miles on it.
My philosophy with beater cars that cost less than $1000 is that as long as it doesn't cost more than you paid for the car per year in repairs then it's worth fixing.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had 140K miles on my plain-Jane 2002 Chevy Cavalier (5-speed) before it was wrecked. I put every single mile on that car, and it treated me well. Regular oil and filter (air, fuel, oil) changes, belt changes, one battery, etc. and I had enough faith in that car that I would have driven it from Oklahoma to Alaska.

It's all about proper maintenance.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:32 AM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran

i have a 1974 GMC pick-up. 350 with 300HP auto trans. i bought it new in 1974 and it has 410,578 miles on it. only replace the VC gaskets and a new carb. regular oil changes and air filter changes and transmission services. i flush the radiator by taking it out and having it professionally cleaned every 2 years. it still has points and a condensor.

it will probably blow up today now that i bragged on it.

Last edited by BIGBIRD85; 07-03-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Makes me think...