2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Injector KNOCK

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Pigpens 70
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector KNOCK

Injectors or Injector pump.?
(99 cummins 5 speed Edge advantage)
I was towing the Toyhauler last week when the engine dies while climbing a hill at (or above) freeway speed. It restarted while still moving and developed a pretty loud knock, very lifter- like. I never lost power after this, I set the chip to watch the fuel pressure and it was low 7 to 10 pounds. Hard acceleration and hills put it at 3 or 4. The Idle and RPM never fluctuated from the norm and I never lost any noticable power. While we were in camp, we cracked injector lines and #4 loose would quiet the knocking completely. All the way home anything above 1500 rpm would also quiet the knock a bit.
I have injectors to replace from a 53 block and was wondering if it was ok to replace just the injector that was noisy to see if it was injectors or the pump that was failing?
The injectors have different numbers on top. one says 4828 on top and 4830 on the side of the 53 block inj. and the one I pulled out says 4184 on top and 4183 on the side.
BTW< it was a 6 hour drive back from camp to home.

Quick Reply: Injector KNOCK