2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Good experience: Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good experience: Extended warranty

Gentlemen,

I know that extended warranties are very shady, but I have a pretty good story about Route 66 warranty coverage:

I have been having a problem with my rearend (thought it was ujoints). But it ended up being the backlash. So the rearend needed to be rebuilt. Plus, my battery died and needed new battery.

What route 66 paid for: 0 deductible
1. The tow from my house to the shop (must be independent, no dealerships).
2. the first 65 dollars of the battery (So I upgraded to an OPTIMA and paid 50 out of pocket). Even the mechanic could not believe that.
3. Most of the cost of the work/parts. It was 1200 for the total work, i paid 258.
4. Rental car if needed.

What they do not pay for:
1. Diagnostic time
2. fluids/gaskets/sealants/disposal fees

I got this warranty for $1295.

There is Easy street coverage and Main street coverage. Easy street just got easier to get because they raised the mileage from 65K to 100K or less as long as it is 10 model years or less old. That means, if the truck is a 2001 model year, and you bought it in 2000, they will still think of it as 2001. Main street goes from 100K-125K. They cost the same, but main street covers less (engine, drivetrain).

Pricing:
https://www.penfed.org/productsandra...lbreakdown.asp
Brochure:
https://www.penfed.org/productsandra...ochure2011.pdf

So, if you guys have any vehicles that are a bit newer and fit the requirements, I would seriously consider this company.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:05 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Thought i would mention this:

When i made this claim, i asked, "If I want better parts, can i ask for premium parts and pay the difference?" They said, "Yes, we only pay up to a certain point, so if you want to get better parts and have the warranty coverage defer it, you just pay the difference. This would go for a transmission, engine, anything. It is just how much you are willing to pay over what we cover for certain parts."

So this means i can get a PATC tranny if my tranny goes and I just have to pay the difference. I don't know how they make their money.

You need to be a member of a federal credit union to get this coverage (I believe).

--Dan

Old 07-24-2011, 12:26 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty freakin' sweet

Old 07-24-2011, 12:36 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

It is also transferable if you sell your truck with a 50 dollar fee. So if someone is trying to stick you about any problems they see with the truck, you can say, "its covered." That way they can't talk you down too much. plus it gives the buyer a bit of comfort.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
I don't know how they make their money.
Most vehicles are not going to eat expensive parts during the period in which those extended warranties are offered, so the extended warranty premium is a negative investment for most vehicle owners and very profitable for the insurance carrier.

In short, insurance carriers are in the business of accepting financial risks that are not as great as their customers believe them to be and investing those premium dollars in financial markets. The great majority of insurance policy holders would be much better off investing their insurance premium dollars elsewhere, but fear always overrules intellect. Something bad might happen and I could be wiped out if I don't have an insurance company to absorb liability. True enough, but the insurance carrier knows the actual probability and costs of those somethings bad which might happen and accepts the liability anyway.

That's how they make their money.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:04 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

i guess the lack of claims from younger cars covered , lets say 2007 and up, offset the costs of vehicles that are on the low end of the year bracket.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 PM
mackbarr1014
Professional

I got the ford base care warranty last April for $1200 (3yr/36,000) at 63000 miles. It has already paid itself off.http://www.fordwarrantys.com/basecare.cfm

Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 PM
mackbarr1014
Professional

Just went Pro!!!!!!!! lol

Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by mackbarr1014
I got the ford base care warranty last April for $1200 (3yr/36,000) at 63000 miles. It has already paid itself off.http://www.fordwarrantys.com/basecare.cfm
you bought it for a dodge?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
you bought it for a dodge?
I too have a Ford Warranty on mine. It doesn't just cover Fords. I believe mine is also the Base Care, but I got mine for 4yr, 48k miles.

I have used it twice in the first year I've owned my Dodge. Replaced a cracked driver's side cylinder head, and a water pump a couple months ago. It covers gaskets, fluids, labor, etc.

I only have to pay a $100 deductible per visit. Could have payed more for a lower deductible, but I'm fine with the plan I got.

I'm VERY happy with my extended warranty through Ford. They've far exceeded my expectations both times I had the truck in for warranty work. Ford's warranty's are transferable to new owners for a small fee also.

My Ford dealership has the option to sublet the work to a Chrysler dealership if they aren't capable of doing the work too.

-JT

Quick Reply: Good experience: Extended warranty