2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Steering Stabilizers are awesome

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Stabilizers are awesome

All I've ever read on here is about how steering stabilizers are useless unless you have a blowout and that they are pretty much useless.

I bent my steering stabilizer offroading (have 125k on the truck) and decided to replace it.

WOW... $27 later it made a world of difference from BEFORE I bent it! Now when I drive it drives like a new car! I chalked it up before as saying that because of the large offroad tires, its not going to drive smoothly, but really it was simply an old steering stabilizer. Even with 35s, my car drives like a dream. Even my girlfriend and my other friends commented how much better the ride was.

The moral of the story is that heres some anctecdotal evidence that the steering stabilizer is important and that riding on 35s doesnt have to suck!

(side note, yes I DID have an alignment done about a year ago, and that helped a lot, but didnt give me a caddy-style ride, so the steering stabilizer is useful for all IMHO)

Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep , I have the stock one , plus a double setup ....so 3 all together . I crashed through some ice last winter while off road and bent both aftermarkets . I had to remove them in the woods to drive home and the truck was all over the place . When I got it home I installed some new ones and it drives great again . An essential part for a Ram with a lift and over-sized tires in my opinion .

Old 09-15-2011, 01:07 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered a set from topguncustomz a week ago. Came in today. But they gotta wait for some other schtuff.

Pacmanloads -- Love the front bumper. Custom or can purchase retail? Cost? Can a winch be mounted? I really like a simple and slick it is.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Pacmanloads -- Love the front bumper. Custom or can purchase retail? Cost? Can a winch be mounted? I really like a simple and slick it is.
Thanks , One of a kind , built by myself and some friends of mine . Steel was free , so it cost me about $50 in bolts, bedliner and paint as well as several cases of beer. If you look closely at the pic I have a front receiver just below the bumper for my winch . This way I can take it off and run it on the back of the truck as well if needed .

Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by Pacmanloads
Thanks , One of a kind , built by myself and some friends of mine . Steel was free , so it cost me about $50 in bolts, bedliner and paint as well as several cases of beer. If you look closely at the pic I have a front receiver just below the bumper for my winch . This way I can take it off and run it on the back of the truck as well if needed .

pffft, waat evvaaahh

Old 09-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Default Pictures of your Stabilizer(s)

Requesting a pictures of your stabilizer setup. Single or dual. Stock or not.

I got the SkyJacker dual and I'm actually skeptical of the installation. The center bracket seems to have to tilt downwards for the mounting. Instructions are lacking in detail, but it could be me just b/c of lack of experience. Maybe someone here can confirm my issues or enlighten me.

Thanks

Edit: Nevermind

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 09-26-2011 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Found a DIY for this!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:33 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are running 35s, an aftermarket stabilizer will help tremendously especially if it is broken. If you have a stock setup, you will not notice a difference with an aftermarket stabilizer.

That is what people were getting at. 35s are a lot different than stock diameter.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 AM
8uzzsaw
Professional

I have a single Skyjacker steering stabilizer and recently put a large flat dent on the bottom of it while off-roading. I was thinking about going to the dual setup. I am running on a 3" Suspension lift and 285/75/16 (32.8").

Would the dual setup be worth it considering what I am running?

I am kind of in a rush to get it fixed either way, straightening out after a right turn is a PITA right now.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

IMO I think it's worth it knowing you offroad it. They certainly will not hurt you. I installed my duals last night.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:58 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizers are awesome