2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:06 PM
iceman7593
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer Wiring

I have a question on trailer wiring. Trying to hook up a brake controller and 7 pin on my 98 ram sport. It has the controller plugin by the fuse panel. It also has the relay and fuse for the factory trailer plug. The part i'm confused on is that there is no wiring that I can find to the rear on the truck. Anyone seen this before? Looking like I will have to run my own wiring to the rear of the truck.

Todd

Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 PM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran

Follow those wires from the plug under the dash. They have to go somewhere......

Mine didn't have any wiring besides the basic 4 (Left, Right, Running, Ground) so I had to run my own wiring for the brake controller. It's not too hard, took me an hour or two.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:05 PM
iceman7593
Amateur

Yeah I,ve pretty much figured on having to run them, I don't see anything at the back of the truck. But I know the po did some work back there as to a couple other wires had plugs cut and rewired. Just no sign of the stock trailer wires. If i'm reading right I can plug into the brake wiring with the brake under the dash and tie the wire from the plug in the back to the blue wire coming out of the fire wall. Thanks for your input as I know this topic has been ? to death. Just haven't seen my situation anywhere.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

The wiring usually runs along the driver side frame rail. I would check further up the frame rail and see if it may be wrapped up somewhere.

Also check out this link for some other ideas on wiring it all up if there is no factory wiring.

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...eid=1998306072

Quick Reply: Trailer Wiring