2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Which tires to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Bosox93
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tires to get?

Im looking at either the Bf goodrich T/A Ko or Good year Duratrac tires. They both are similar price, but from the looks of it the goodyears have a bit of a more aggressive tread. Im looking to go up to 35's before the snow comes, any suggestion?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 PM
MD Dodge
Amateur

I'd go with the Duratracs, they do look more aggressive and more fit for a truck.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Duratracks don't last very long depending on the truck, or so I've heard.
BFG AT's are good for snow usually. Just don't wanna get too deep with them, they also last a while.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM
X98Ram
Amateur

I'd go with the Duratrac, my brother has a set on his F150 and loves them, they are awesome in the snow, mud, wet, and are quiet considering the tread. I'm from Northern Ontario (I see you are from Guelph) so a good snow-ready tire is nice to have. I plan to throw a set of Duratracs on my truck as my next set. My opinion..

Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
97black_ram
Captain

I'd go Duratrac as well. My buddy has them on his 3500 Cummins and has no complaints. They are going on there second winter coming up and still have plenty of tread.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 PM
biggreen2500
All Star

i have a 01 dodge ram 2500 4x4 last winter i had 315x75x16 BFG all terraions..

i was going in snow that was about 2 feet deep just fine i have great traction on ice and etc too..

my friend who works at discount tire has the dura tracs on his 1994 dodge ram 2500 hes got 315/70/17s and he has one hell of a tire in the snow but they do great in sand and mud

Old 11-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used both, and currently run the Duratracs in 35" size (315/70/17). I like both very much. The main difference I have noticed is that the Duratrac is better in deep snow, mud, slush, and water. It is just better able to channel stuff out of the tread. They are pretty good on ice.
BFG AT's are a tougher tire in my opiinion though (3 ply sidewall is pretty tough to puncture), and probably last longer then the Duratracs will. They have a long reputation too, so it is hard to go wrong with them. They are just not that great in mud or other situations where they can pack up.

Both are great tires honestly, just depends on how you use your truck and what conditions you see.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran

I've had both as well, Duratracs on the Ram, BFG A/T's on the old Dakota I used to have.

I absolutely love the Duratrac's. They are just great all around tires, they look great, are awesome in snow/mud, and are pretty quiet for such an aggressive tire. I have also been 10k on the ones I have now, and they came with the truck and started with probably only 30%.

The BFG's.... I can't say the same. Traction wise, they were great all-around. They just wore terribly. I had two tires that looked brand new after 10k and one that was nearly bald. Rotated and inflated properly all the time. Even the tire shop was puzzled.

My recommendation would definitely be the Duratracs. If I had the money, I would never buy another tire.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:38 AM
biggreen2500
All Star

Originally Posted by wyomingdodge7
I've had both as well, Duratracs on the Ram, BFG A/T's on the old Dakota I used to have.

I absolutely love the Duratrac's. They are just great all around tires, they look great, are awesome in snow/mud, and are pretty quiet for such an aggressive tire. I have also been 10k on the ones I have now, and they came with the truck and started with probably only 30%.

The BFG's.... I can't say the same. Traction wise, they were great all-around. They just wore terribly. I had two tires that looked brand new after 10k and one that was nearly bald. Rotated and inflated properly all the time. Even the tire shop was puzzled.

My recommendation would definitely be the Duratracs. If I had the money, I would never buy another tire.

thats really odd about the BFG my old set i had there were 315/75/ i go about 45,000 miles out of them had them ont here for about 3 years... did alot of freeway drieing and off road mudding too ... must of got a bad batch or something

Old 11-06-2011, 01:46 AM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran

Originally Posted by biggreen2500
thats really odd about the BFG my old set i had there were 315/75/ i go about 45,000 miles out of them had them ont here for about 3 years... did alot of freeway drieing and off road mudding too ... must of got a bad batch or something
Interesting, I was told once that often the chemical balances weren't perfect with the BFG's so on occasion a set would not be right and wear very fast. I'm starting to wonder if that's what happened to mine.....

Quick Reply: Which tires to get?