2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Alarming experience driving my 2500 Ram in the snow for the first time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man Love my truck for the way it was in the October storm we had here in CT... I have a pretty bad axle housing that was causing a loose half shaft and i busted a u-joint from it. well i had the u-joint fixed but not the axle housing. i was advised to keep it out of 4wheel till i had it fixed. And when we got that surprising storm in October my wife and kids were in the Truck (we were moving from Meriden to Bristol) and when i whent to merge onto the highway from the on ramp we did a 180 and was facing incoming traffic. i tryed to move but the truck just slipped and wouldnt move but side to side. so i said **** this and popped it into 4hi. all weekend i drove it around in 4hi and was just beasting the roads going anywhere i want. I have a clogged cat and im gutting it this weekend but going put the shell up than do the defouler trick to not get the CEL. Your cat maybe more clogged than mine.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

After that weekend I drove away with no busted u-joint and nothing busted (hoping to fix axle hsg this week as well)

DODGE....Dependable Service

Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hill at my old place in Virginia is crazy steep. With the old Blazer best way to get down, 4 Lo with the gear selector on 1. Keep your feet as far away from the brake as possible, cuz AS SOON as you touch it, your going sliding....

One winter it sleeted, then froze, then thawed, rained, and then re-froze. Talk about SLICK. Only way to get down without chains on the front tires was to keep 2 wheels in the ditch.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Well I popped out the front 02 sensor a while ago (came out pretty easily, all my Chevy's strip out) and tooled around town in it seeing what would happen. It sounds like a tractor with a gaping hole in the downpipe, but I don't seem to notice any difference in performance, but I did notice some blue smoke, which I found strange, since I haven't had any since I did the plenum repair.

I hammered on the cat with my fist, and there is definetely something rattling around inside it. However, it does not glow in the dark like you always hear a bad cat doing. So I'm not sure what step to take. Cut it off and weld in a couple pieces of pipe, leave it be with the sensor out, leave it be with the sensor in (I don't want my mpgs to get any worse than they already are), or just get used to a weak 360 trying to push around a 6000 pound 3/4 ton 4x4 in the snow...

Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gut that thing man.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

I gotta borrow a welder first.

This thing is running a heck of a lot better though I think. That or the fumes are getting to me.

And for some reason I'm blowing blue smoke again. Hopefully the lack of restriction is just allowing more junk to be blown out of the exhaust system and not something worse. Although I do go thru a lot of oil.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kadetklapp
Although I do go thru a lot of oil.
Bingo!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Bingo!
lolz, agreed. But how much...

Apparently a quart for every 2-3K is considered standard by some Stealerships.....

Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He says his drinks that every WEEK!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2x1972
He says his drinks that every WEEK!
Eh, since the plenum and switching to Rotella/Lucas it's down to a half a quart every week....

Quick Reply: Alarming experience driving my 2500 Ram in the snow for the first time.