2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

If you were Dr. Victor Frankenstein.. for trucks..

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If you were Dr. Victor Frankenstein.. for trucks..

yeah.. I'm bored..

premise: you can have any body and frame, and any drive train, and engine, and any thing else you'd like to have.. and expense isn't a concern..

rules: it has to be a gasser, and it has to be somewhat doable with existing parts and pieces.. it would also have to be a daily driver..

my entry:

body/frame: Dodge (duh) third gen 3500 QCSB 4x4..

suspension: Coiled front, leaf rear, w/remote reservoir air, and at least 24" of articulation.. likely on a 6"lift..

drive train: solid front axle, and geared to 3.23 front and rear- with a kicker: two speed differentials with a clutch planetary stepping it down a third, or to around 4.30:1 ratio at the push of a button (electric or air, I don't care).. oh, and remote actuated lockers on both axles..

trans/transfer case: something in the 6 speed manual flavor, and rock damn solid... I'd have to do some research.. something with a low first, and a big step between third and fourth, and big step between fifth and sixth.. I'm sure there is something out there for me....

Engine: likely a BBC.. I hate it, but they are stupid easy to work on, and parts are plentiful.. likely a 396~402cid, and built for silly low range.. fairly low compression for two reasons: ability to safely boost if I decided to, and longevity of the thing.. EFI, of course, and after market stand alone computer managed- with all the software I needed to tune..

I'd love to have enough low end torque to pin 70~75mph in the axle high gear and still keep the engine under 1600 RPM for the highway long hauls, and be able to push that magic axle speed button and drop some serious torque to the terra in off-road or towing/hauling situations..

It would sit on 35" diameter, but no more than 12" wide skins, w/ semi aggressive tread (think A/T's)..

X'd duels through 3.25 pipes, long tube headers, Magna flow high flow and magna flow ss muffler..

and, silver damnit.. I'd like it to be silver..

is that asking too much?

what would you build?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So you're sittin' on a bar stool talkin' like a damn fool and got those twelve o'clock news blues? Given up hope on the afternoon soaps and a bottle of cold brew?

I have no idea what sort of a monster I'd build. If money was no object (as in I've got way more than I could possibly ever spend) I'd probably just finish duding up the Ram I've got with the plans I've got and call it good. Nuthin' special, just built to last over the long haul.

I wanna know what Purpl would build. A Cub Cadet with a rat motor, I'm guessin'.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:48 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

would probably go for one of these and if it had to be gas i would probably also go with a 440.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:15 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im the cliche guy. Id take my truck and give it a 408 stroker with a stick. an atlas 2 tcase. Rockwells front and rear. 4links front and rear of course. Half doors. Sittin on enough lift to fit some 44s comfortably. I dont drive very far to work so i can get away with the rocks for a dd

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem number one with this is no dream truck of mine will be a gasser

Would be a 3rd gen either 06, 07 white with custom camo interior definantely a 2500 qcsb with a simple 5" lift and 37's, nitto mud grapplers on some soft 8 style aluminum rims.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wanna know what Purpl would build. A Cub Cadet with a rat motor, I'm guessin'.
S-10 with a Corvette ZR1 drivetrain and suspension, and BMW 7-Series interior. Completely re-engineer the body so it isnt such a ****ty GM vehicle.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 12-29-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I'm thinkin' something along the lines of this:

Based on a QCSB, if possible..... (enough room in the back for two axles...) powered by a an LT5 motor....... (32 valve v-8 in mid-90's corvette ZL-1's.) Either that, or one of the newer DOD big blocks.....

Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

2nd gen Ram RC/SB 426 big block FI Hemi, Allison auto trany, Oshkosh T case, Uni Mog portal axles, Coil over suspension, 38" tires.

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-29-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: If you were Dr. Victor Frankenstein.. for trucks..