2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Many Many THANKS !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
skwerl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many Many THANKS !!!!

I've been reading and studying on here for quite a few weeks now. I bought this ram knowing I had a shiaaaaatload of stuff to fix. All new front end. I mean everything. Fuel pump was an unexpected surprise. But tackling this heater core and and full complete flush ( including block) was by far the worst. But I was totally ready for it from reading all the help and warnings. I started this morning about 7am and finished at 7pm...... I did the complete job today by myself and... I HAVE HEAT NOW !!......... .... I mean nice and hot. I would imagine I saved myself a good 1200-1500 $ in labor and parts on just this project. And its all due to everyone's help and great info here.. Thanks so much guys. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more in the future.

Last edited by skwerl; 01-17-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

good work. so now...you can respond to all the other poor saps having to deal with the shenanigan heater core.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Was it as bad as job as it sounds lol? I need to do mine.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 AM
skwerl

It's just a lot of stuff to do to get to it. I don't think I got my dash out far enough because I had to stand outside of the truck and basically do everything with one hand. got the straps off, cut the tubes and installed the new one all with one arm in there. But I didn't want to take a chance of cracking a crackfree dash. At first I had nothing but COLD air. Thought maybe I forgot to hook up something under the dash. But I jacked the passenger side up and kept burping the system, and finally got it.

As far as flushing, I bought 2 jugs of prestone flush and ran in the truck before starting any of this. Ran the truck for about an hour, then started my heater core. I left the old heater hoses hooked to the engine, bought a .99 plastic splice and hooked the 2 hoses together. (This is after the core install). Removed the thermostat. Put the therm housing back on. Took the bottom radiator hose off and pointed it down toward my plastic tote catch can. (plastic cheapie from dollar store).(probably holds 7 gallons or so). Removeved the top rad hose and duct taped my garden hose to inside it. ran fresh water through there for 5 min or so. then duct taped air nozzle inside it and blew out all the water. Refilled with distilled water and new antifreeze. Burp repeat, burp repeat. GOOD AS NEW !

Your local shop probably has 8 hours listed on the books just for the heater core. Even if it doesn't take them that long more than likely you'll be charged for it.

Last edited by skwerl; 01-18-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
skwerl

I wish I would have had the time to take pics. It was my only day off this week and I had to hurry and try get everything done in a day. Cold weather heading this way. Not a great excuse but the best one I got !

But hopefully someone will get something out of it

Old 01-18-2012, 05:50 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
Was it as bad as job as it sounds lol? I need to do mine.
it's really not as hard as people make it.. just do your research and go in with determination. im 17 and i did it all myself in about 7 hours. nice hot air coming out now!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Screw you kids. I'd rather do a cam swap than a heater core. Mine's been limping along the last few months. Back flushing it helped....but rawr

Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I did the heater core in my 01 before i got rid of it... It wasnt all that bad but I would rather not do it again lol.. Id rather swap my transfer case again.