2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

My SCT tuner thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012 | 06:18 PM
dsertdog56
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zman17
Is your plenum fixed? Just curious.
Did that about 5 years ago with the Hughes kit and I check on a semi regular basis...last time about 3 weeks ago. Dry as a bone. I suppose there could be a carbon build up on the pistons.

Not gonna worry about it though. Not enough power gain over the 91 tune to fart with it.

Old 04-21-2012 | 09:56 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
.......Anyway, after putting over 21 gallons of hi test in, I loaded in my 93 tune and took and took a test drive.
And then came home and loaded the 89 tune back in. Reason being the dam motor pinged like a &8^%&76798y%%4! So much for that. It may have had a bit more uummmfff down low, but not enough to warrant keeping the tune.........

I think I would call or e-mail Sean and get his thoughts on this.

Old 04-22-2012 | 02:03 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Yea I agree... I saw almost 14mpg BEFORE tuning my engine up and the rest of the major overhaul I did... I hope to get even better than that now, but haven't ran through a tank yet...

Old 04-22-2012 | 01:26 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
Today was rather interesting....

I went and filled my tank with 91 octane, which is pretty much what you can get for premium in this area.

I noted that my mileage had JUMPED on the last tank. I recorded an IMPRESSIVE 11.4 mpg! Fluke? Or did removing my bug shield drop my drag co efficient?

Anyway, after putting over 21 gallons of hi test in, I loaded in my 93 tune and took and took a test drive.
And then came home and loaded the 89 tune back in. Reason being the dam motor pinged like a &8^%&76798y%%4! So much for that. It may have had a bit more uummmfff down low, but not enough to warrant keeping the tune.

It seemed like the tune was set for about 40 degrees advance that was right now. Not what I would've have done with an old school mechanical distributor.

However, I would be estatic about a consistent 11.4 mpg city mileage, almost a full mpg over my baseline.
I tried to tell you on the "other" forum that you would get pinging.. and you thought you would be able to run 87octane on the 93 tune...
I believe the SCT (and all the tuners for that matter) are more bark than bite.... its played up to be more than the proof of unbiased testing has been able to deliver...
the shifting changes and such give it the feeling of more power but Me thinks its just manipulation

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 04-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2012 | 01:52 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

I was able to run 93 tune with 87 gas with the superchips and has no ping .

Sct I usally have to run 93 gas with 91 tune , and when I do 93 tune I usally have to run 93 gas and a octain booster .

Sean don't mess around . Far better with the Sct !

Old 04-22-2012 | 04:32 PM
dsertdog56
|
Record Breaker

Lastrights I agree... And didn't realize it was the superchips you were running 87 gas on a 93 tune. This tells me superchips didn't just increase the total advance. Which is why I know what's causing the pinging in my truck. Nothing else had changed... I was disappointed with the lack of part throttle low end increase on the 93 tune.

I could probably run out the tank on the 93 tune if I drove as light footed as I do. BUT...I have roadtrip coming up next week and will be covering rolling terrain while with a bunch of lead footed LX car drivers, so will not be wanting to futz with what works. And what is working is the 89 tune.

BTW augie...we'll agree to disagree on the rest of it. If the tuner only removed the torque limiting and gave me that back to me...the 265 bucks I spent was worth it compared to the price of the FIPK, catback setup and MSD coil. As far as the trans reprogramming...me thinks it hurts mileage at speeds above 45 but below 55. I may have sean change that. The reprogram acts as an "auto lockup off button". You still have OD at any speed above 32 mph.

Bottom line:I wished I'd gotten the SCT first...after fixing the plenum.

Instead folks, I wasted 250 + bucks on a FIPK and about 190 bucks on a dual outlet catback, and 40 bucks back in the day on a coil. All these mods slightly increased my power and did nothing for mileage. It didn't go up down but didn't go up.
So I would recommend (if power is your desire) the tuner first over those mods. You will probably see a "slight" mileage increase if you are a careful driver. Maybe up to 1 mpg.

I'll report back after running a couple more tanks of 87 octane on the 89 tune.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 04-22-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2012 | 10:08 PM
dsertdog56
|
Record Breaker

I've recorded 11.5 mpg on my last two tanks and thats probably where the mileage will stay. I am happy with the results and know that I could pay for the tuner in about a year based on the mileage savings. If I'd gotten anywhere around 12mpg I'd be estatic.

This summer I'll be taking the Ram to Minnesota and back with a a detour through my old stomping grounds of Eastern Iowa. I probably post up with the good, the bad and the average, and then let the thread close.

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

Old 07-04-2012 | 01:56 PM
dsertdog56
|
Record Breaker

I don't know why i haven't updated this....

Anyways...Road trip. 9 days 4 states 1673 miles, 130 gals of gas, average mileage 12.8. All this with headwinds and high temps.
Still cheaper than renting a 25mpg SUV and about 1.5 mpg better than my last trip 5 years ago, when gas was in the 4.00 range!

After some chats with Sean, he is building me a newer tune with a lower TC lockup and some other tweaks. Have it in the truck and will update later.

Old 07-04-2012 | 02:02 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

Lower lock up how does he do.that ?

Old 07-04-2012 | 02:25 PM
dsertdog56
|
Record Breaker

He changed something. My od used to lockup at 53 mph or as soon as I reached interstate speed. He was going to try and set it lower and tweak the od shift point.

A test drive confirms...TC shifts in around 35 mph instead of having to lift, and the OD now locks in about 40-45 mph depending on traffic conditions. Tranny will run cooler.

I noticed on a previous tune he'd added some low end, and he's messed with it a bit more. I can break the tires loose from a dead stop. Couldn't do that before.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 07-04-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: My SCT tuner thread.