2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

auto tranmission horsepower ratings

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Ryan Ersick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation auto tranmission horsepower ratings

hey guys been trying to figure something out for awhile and im not having any luck. i got a 95 1500 and i just had the tranny rebuilt and added a shift kit. now im building a 360 for it and im curious how much horsepower that tranny will take. really dont want to destroy my new tranny. thanks for any help

Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's a stock rebuild, it's already too stressed. What modifications were made to it, if it's not a stock rebuild?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Ryan Ersick

tranny had a stock rebuild besides the shift kit. motor got the heads cut, mild cam, not to sure what im doing with the bottom end yet. was considering the 408 stroker kit or just cutting my crank to clean it up and bore it .30 and run dome top pistons

Old 03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Ryan Ersick
tranny had a stock rebuild besides the shift kit.
In that case, don't go nuts making horsepower because that torque converter will turn itself into the crap that eats the transmission. If you upgrade the converter to something like PATC"s high zoot billet unit you'll be kinda sorta good to maybe 325HP or so depending upon how long you want it to last. You can expect crud and chunks in the pan in direct proportion to how much power you throw at it.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Ryan Ersick

thanks for the help. any idea what the 5spd is good for. i got a parts truck to do the swap but really didnt want to but may end up going that direction if the auto dont hold up

Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Ryan Ersick
any idea what the 5spd is good for.
I've no idea how much horsepower the five speed would hold up to, sorry.

For a few grand you can pick up a nicely built automatic that'd easily handle 500HP.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I've no idea how much horsepower the five speed would hold up to, sorry.

For a few grand you can pick up a nicely built automatic that'd easily handle 500HP.
I'm pretty sure the NV3500 manuals used in the 1/2 tons are rated for 300 horsepower. And NV3500s suck anyway, you dont want one.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I'm pretty sure the NV3500 manuals used in the 1/2 tons are rated for 300 horsepower. And NV3500s suck anyway, you dont want one.
300ft/lbs. I'm putting out around 400ft/lbs to the ground and have been upwards of 350ft/lbs to the ground for a year and a half or so, (33,000 miles). Tranny also has over 200k on it. It's got my respect.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How well ANY transmission will hold up depends more on how one uses/abuses it than the model or make of transmission. Another major factor is how well it is maintained.

These auto trannys do appear to have a high failure rate, but without considering the factors listed any judgement may be flawed.

A rebuild that does not include upgrades such as UU listed to increase the reliability of the weaknesses of the tranny is probably not the best investment dfor a rebuild. Why do a stock rebuild when a few dollars more will improve the life of the tranny and allow for a little more severe duty service of the unit?

A more logical approach would be to determine what you want to do with the truck, and rebuild drivetrain components to meet that need. Cutting corners will adversely effect ability...so this should be the approcah instead of installing a stock rebuild tranny, then building a bigger engine that may exceed capacity of tranny.

Last edited by gdstock; 03-11-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Quick Reply: auto tranmission horsepower ratings