2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

need endine rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM
u-shoot-irak
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need endine rebuild advice

I have a 98 dodge 1500 that originally had a 318 and i am putting a 360 out of 95 ram the block has been dipped and stock crank is ready also heads are rebuilt stock i would like to put the largest cam possible for this stock rebuild i have no idea what to look for since there are so many to choose from. Intake and throttle body with cpu from the 318 are being used if i did decide to bore and put larger pistons will cpu still work any suggestions are appreciated hoping to have advice from someone who has successfully done similar work. Truck will not be driven hard do to stock tranny but will eventually upgrade that also. I still have cpu and harness from the 360 if i need. I going to buy new rollers and springs not certain on what i need there either.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Use the electronics from the 98. The older stuff simply won't work in your truck, without a LOT of additional work. (a whole bunch changed from 95 to 98.....) Pick a cam that puts the power band in the range you want it, then, have a chat with Hemifever Tuning and get a custom tune for your combination. (about 365 bucks.... a wideband O2 sensor might also be necessary for fine tuning, another 200 or so.....)

Also use the intake, and all sensors from the 98.....

Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 AM
u-shoot-irak
Amateur

thanx for reply. My understanding is the tuner can adjust to all my modifications with 98 cpu and harness. Correct?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yep. Doesn't matter what ya do, custom tune can get ya runnin' good.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
u-shoot-irak
Amateur

thanx for advice looks like I need to go make about $600 more dollars without wife finding out LOL. I will definately check into it. and hopefully be on the road soon thanx again.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to change cam to something radical, I would advise looking into rockers, lifters, and springs as well.

Quick Reply: need endine rebuild advice