2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Grill guard and lights done finally!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My poor brush guard! haha, looks sweet! Glad someone got some use out of it, my new bumper has already pushed over a 4 inch thick tree lol

Old 04-01-2012, 11:30 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FireDodge
My poor brush guard! haha, looks sweet! Glad someone got some use out of it, my new bumper has already pushed over a 4 inch thick tree lol
LOL, nice. I likely wont be taking on any trees, intentionally, ofc. And if it makes you feel any better, I left the vertical parts chrome, so they match the grill and bumper, and just painted all the horizontal bars black, to match the roll bar. I'd like to thank you again, for the good deal, and I really like the grill guard. I've wanted one forever, but don't have the 300 or so $$ to drop on a new one. Finally the suns gone down though, so took a couple pics of the lights.

Unfortunately, they're just in front of the garage, but the difference is quite significant.

Just headlights

Just grill guard lights, no headlights

All 4 offroad lights, no headlights (you can't notice the headlights anyways). There'd be more light, but the top of the garage blocked some. The lighting down a dark country road is amazing though. I can spot a deer in the road, I'd guess 20-30 seconds before I'd regularly notice him standing there.

Overall. I spent 40$ at harbor freight for (4) 6 inch offroad lights. 25$ for (4) 100w sylvania bulbs from autozone. The lights came with 55w bulbs in 'em. I swapped those out for the 100w bulbs. One 7$ black spray paint can, to paint the light housings black, and hopefully prevent rusting. 50-60$ for a whole bunch of 12g wire, butt connectors, 3 relays, 3 switches and ring terminal connectors to install wires to the battery post. I chopped up an old 50 ft. extension cord in the garage for most of the lower amp switch wiring. And in the process, autozone has a "spend 20$ in store 5 times, get a free 20$ in-store." I had earned the free 20$ with the money i'd spent on wires and such. With that free 20$, I bought a nice 4-way wrench, for changing tires, since I was using the provided dodge lug wrench. What a pain.

Normally 60$ would get u a kit from KChilites to wire up 2 lights to 1 switch. The difference is, my 2 lights on the roll bar are on their own switches, with their own relays, so I can turn on the left light, or the right light, and not have to run both at the same time. (I use this to light up the right-side ditches for deer, without blinding oncoming traffic.) The front 2 lights I ran on 1 switch. So 122$-132$ roughly got me 4 100w lights, and all the switches/ relays/ wiring to run them the way I wanted, plus a free 4-way wrench. And I can guarantee they perform as well as any KChilites/ Pella light system.

If you guys would like me to draw up a diagram of the entire lighting/ wiring system, including wire/ relay/ switch sizes, I can. If you're like me and working on a budget, this is probably 1/3- 1/2 of the cost of buying everything pre-made. Just requires some electrical knowledge, and some elbow grease. Let me know if it'd help for me make a wiring diagram of the entire, final project.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course a wiring diagram is reuired! That does look good. Plenty of light. SO I am guessing that if anyone bright lights you - they may regret it!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Now update that old crappy sig picture!! hahah

Looks good and I especially like the lights. Get the dimples done!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

LOL. I'll get the sig picture changed ASAP. Let me find a good place to take a decent picture, and I'll update that, for sure!

But here's the wiring diagram...it might be kind of small, but I was trying to make it on MS paint, which I'm not very talented with. The 7-8 beers I've had tonight also, aren't helping my proportions while drawing with a mouse, but if u have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll happily explain how I got it done, or take some pictures from my truck, that may explain things better. That and it's also midnight here, so after this post, I'm calling it quits for the night.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

were did you get the light covers from?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...45#post2625145

That's the link to where I found the person that makes the custom covers. They were 35$ shipped to my door. So far, they seem to be good quality, and I'll be ordering another set asap, since I have 2 more lights now.

And the only ones I see driving around my city are the regular ol' KC smilies or KC logo. I had to be different.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Originally Posted by gdstock
Of course a wiring diagram is reuired! That does look good. Plenty of light. SO I am guessing that if anyone bright lights you - they may regret it!
LOL...Tried to stand in front of the truck with the 4 lights on, and get a pic, but it's too bright for the camera to focus. Here's a pic from an angle in front. Yeah, I'd say it'd be a bad idea to flash the brights at me...I could probably temporarily blind someone, and send 'em off into the ditch, on a small 2 lane highway. Of course, I would never do that, unless they're the ones that refuse to turn off their brights. Seem to be alot of those idiots.

Quick Reply: Grill guard and lights done finally!