2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Blackout project: grill and mirrors.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted my grill and taillight housings white to match the rest of my truck, I then rhino lined the bottom half to give the truck a look of its own.

Two years later now there is a least 5 other white trucks with rhino lining on the rockets, copy cats! I hate being a trend setter! Lol

Old 04-17-2012, 03:33 PM
CamoDodge
Professional

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
I painted my grill and taillight housings white to match the rest of my truck, I then rhino lined the bottom half to give the truck a look of its own.

Two years later now there is a least 5 other white trucks with rhino lining on the rockets, copy cats! I hate being a trend setter! Lol
Haha that sucks, Rhino lined or you did a homemade job? If so which one and how did it hold up.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did herculiner "homemade job", stuff is holdin up after 2 years real nice, just faded is all. Good stuff though, for much cheaper

Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 PM
CamoDodge
Professional

That's what I'm going to do. Raptor liner probably though for the spray aspect unless another spray liner is better

Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Big Purps

That looks real good Polvado. I likes.

Is that the factory Chrome bumper sprayed black?? or was it a black plastic to begin with?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

As for tow mirrors, they look a lot better on extended cabs than they do reg cabs. I have them on my reg cab and they look good when folded down. When looking at the truck head on with the mirrors flipped open/up they look pretty sweet, however from a side view it looks a little odd considering its a small reg cab. To me they'd look pretty decent flipped open on extended cabs.

Mine are the ebay ones, got em for $155 or so with brackets/hardware.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 PM
rollinlow
Professional

get the chrome off the mirrors its just a plating take a 3m lock grinder and hit the bottom just a tad to get it to chip and peel it off same for the grill peel that crap off and hit with a maroon scotch brite pad by hand then paint.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
COL
Rookie

Mine came like that...lol...painted bumpers and grill. You can order a set of blacked out mirrors too, i was thinking about doing it myself since im going to need a new power mirror soon

Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For mirrors you can get 98+ black mirrors too, only thing the power plug is different so you gotta do some wirein to get em to work. But still an option

Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
CamoDodge
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramcountryboy
I did herculiner "homemade job", stuff is holdin up after 2 years real nice, just faded is all. Good stuff though, for much cheaper
I think I changed my mind, I think I could do that for the sides etc, but I think from what I heard the little extra money is worth it for the warranty and thickness of a rhino or lines ( 8 gallons vs 2 at the most) the 3/8 thickness to 1/16 and of course the warranty and no labor haha. My bed just doesn't want to be too thin for what I use it for.

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
As for tow mirrors, they look a lot better on extended cabs than they do reg cabs. I have them on my reg cab and they look good when folded down. When looking at the truck head on with the mirrors flipped open/up they look pretty sweet, however from a side view it looks a little odd considering its a small reg cab. To me they'd look pretty decent flipped open on extended cabs.

I agree haha My buddy said " please don't" when I ran it by him. Maybe if I were lifted higher it would justify the mean tow mirror look.

Mine are the ebay ones, got em for $155 or so with brackets/hardware.
Originally Posted by rollinlow
get the chrome off the mirrors its just a plating take a 3m lock grinder and hit the bottom just a tad to get it to chip and peel it off same for the grill peel that crap off and hit with a maroon scotch brite pad by hand then paint.
Checked craigslist and found some local blacked out ones for 10 dollars, power, and got a paintable grill for 40 lol

Originally Posted by COL
Mine came like that...lol...painted bumpers and grill. You can order a set of blacked out mirrors too, i was thinking about doing it myself since im going to need a new power mirror soon
Check craigslist!

Quick Reply: Blackout project: grill and mirrors.