2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

tools going down hill?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would guess so.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lately ive been buying duralast sInce they have the warranty and i can pick up just one socket or one wrench, whatever i need. And they are not that pricey

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, it's sad about Craftsman tools going chinese the way they did... They used to be warranted because they would never break in the first place. Now they are warranted because it's cheaper to replace chinese garbage multiple times than manufacture in today's "United" States of America. It's a sad world we live in. I still buy the Craftsman stuff that is made here though.

Husky tools (The Homes Depot's house brand) seem to still be affordable and good quality. I think they are still made in America, but I am not sure.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
I agree, it's sad about Craftsman tools going chinese the way they did... They used to be warranted because they would never break in the first place. Now they are warranted because it's cheaper to replace chinese garbage multiple times than manufacture in today's "United" States of America. It's a sad world we live in. I still buy the Craftsman stuff that is made here though.

Husky tools (The Homes Depot's house brand) seem to still be affordable and good quality. I think they are still made in America, but I am not sure.
snap on is the only major american tool brand left... husky used to manufacture craftsman tools when they were actual quality so I imagine they have also sold their name to china like craftsman...
Everytime I here Toby Kieths "Made in America" song I think of how funny it is that he references craftsman like its and American tool company.... He's so wrong... with new enviromental laws in the states its too hard and expensive to make the hardened steel for the tools... Its the same reason we cant make our own crankshafts anymore...over 90% of all auto companies buy them from china..... they beat us at our own game using our biggest weakness....greed..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Craftsman has been garbage since the early 1990s, which is the last time I ever bought that junk. I have a plethora of links to various tool vendors & mfgrs. Hazet, Koken, and Stahwille are all outstanding quality.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Craftsman has been garbage since the early 1990s, which is the last time I ever bought that junk. I have a plethora of links to various tool vendors & mfgrs. Hazet, Koken, and Stahwille are all outstanding quality.
Any of them affordable to us regular garage mechanics? I would be interested to know more if they are.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use all my dads old tools.

Still using 20+ year old craftsman tools that work great.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Any of them affordable to us regular garage mechanics? I would be interested to know more if they are.
Pay once, cry once and have tools for a lifetime. This kit cost me $160 and is worth it. I never realized how well a socket could fit a nut or bolt until I bought this one.

The heat gun I bought about four years ago is a Makita. All steel with a ceramic plate and variable heat ranges from ~300º-1,700º. It cost me $89 and will last a lifetime, unlike most of the sorry-*** garbage that's out there. Quality is what it's about.

Last edited by Gary-L; 06-18-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Pay once, cry once and have tools for a lifetime. This kit cost me $160 and is worth it. I never realized how well a socket could fit a nut or bolt until I bought this one.

The heat gun I bought about four years ago is a Makita. All steel with a ceramic plate and variable heat ranges from ~300º-1,700º. It cost me $89 and will last a lifetime, unlike most of the sorry-*** garbage that's out there. Quality is what it's about.
+1.... I have a 15 year old Makita heat gun that works great, and most of my carpentry tools are Makita or Milwaukee. As far as automotive tools go, 90% are SK tools.

And where is the thread you started about quality tools? I'm surprised you didn't link to it.

Maybe you did link to it on a previous page in this thread, but since it took damn near a half hour to post in three threads, this EDIT, and one PM. I'm not looking or doing any searches until the crap is fixed! LOL

Last edited by zman17; 06-18-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by zman17
+1.... I have a 15 year old Makita heat gun that works great, and most of my carpentry tools are Makita or Milwaukee. As far as automotive tools go, 90% are SK tools.

And where is the thread you started about quality tools? I'm surprised you didn't link to it.

Maybe you did link to it on a previous page in this thread, but since it took damn near a half hour to post in three threads, this EDIT, and one PM. I'm not looking or doing any searches until the crap is fixed! LOL

Here you go: The Right Tool For the Job

Quick Reply: tools going down hill?