2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I'm thinking a potential engine swap in the coming future.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Ol_RedRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm thinking a potential engine swap in the coming future.

The 5.9L in my truck has eclipsed 216,000 and, to my knowledge, has never been rebuilt in anyway. While problems have been minimal, it's still an old engine with a lot of miles. I'd like to start countin' my pennies for a new engine.

I've been eyeballing the 360 crate at Precision Engine:

http://www.precisionengine.com/rebui...ge-magnum.html

It's a tad higher than I would like to pay, but I'm still coming out WAAAY cheaper than buying a used truck that still has used truck problems.

I've even thought of stepping down to the 5.2L, because I really don't do that much towing, other than a Jetski once in a while.

http://www.precisionengine.com/rebui...Magnum318.html

I guess my question is, has anyone ever dealt with Precision? Are the engines of good quality? Any other possible recommendations on where to buy a replacement crate engine?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not dealt with them, but what I have heard was good. If you swap to a 5.2 you need to consider any PCM issues, if there are any....

I wonder about cost to return core also.

Last edited by gdstock; 06-17-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

I have read mixed reviews on them.... some folks didn't care for the build quality. However, folks that have a problem are about 10 times more likely to post a complaint somewhere, than someone that was happy with the engine....

Going to the 5.2 really won't help you with fuel economy... they both get about the same. (bad....)

They ARE the cheapest I can find though.... Jasper doesn't seem to list prices on their website...... Might give them a call as well.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Ol_RedRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured there wouldn't be a major difference in fuel economy, but the 5.2 does have the advantage of costing over $1,000 less than the 360 at Precision. I managed to dig up a price from Jasper, and they were a good bit cheaper, but they didn't really provide much info about the engine, other than telling me where to get it installed.

Also, if I were to do this, I'll plan on a totally new transmission, over rebuilding the existing. Any recommendations there?

This may all be wishful thinking, but I'm trying to conserve where I can. I HATE making car payments and my fiance has been on my *** about buying a house.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:39 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also looking at your first post - that is a performance crate....stock is probably cheaper...

Old 06-17-2012, 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Precision has a bone stock 360 for around 1200.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking a potential engine swap in the coming future.