2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bedliner Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is sprayed with Raptor liner and we also did my friends jeep . I have no regrets .
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Line X is a better product , but the shop close to me wanted $3000 to spray it and I had to do all the prep work . I sprayed my entire truck for $500 and then my friend liked the end result so we painted his with the tint-able raptor liner in red .

Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM
garam
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pacmanloads
Mine is sprayed with Raptor liner and we also did my friends jeep . I have no regrets .
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Line X is a better product , but the shop close to me wanted $3000 to spray it and I had to do all the prep work . I sprayed my entire truck for $500 and then my friend liked the end result so we painted his with the tint-able raptor liner in red .
I have a little set back with my project. It started raining on me the other day so I put a tarp over the truck. The tarp blew off twice and the exposed body filler got wet and in a few spot rust is starting to form around those spots. I really didn't want to redo those (with body filler) areas.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Surface rust only at this point. Sand off and you should be good. Prime with an etching primer and sealer.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 AM
garam
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Surface rust only at this point. Sand off and you should be good. Prime with an etching primer and sealer.
It's the exposed, sanded body filler from the previous time that's got me concerned.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by garam
It's the exposed, sanded body filler from the previous time that's got me concerned.

Can you post a photo?

So pacmanloads, how does the raptor liner hold up? I bought some for the bed on mine, but have not sprayed it one yet - compressor took a dive and had to get a new one. Haven't run heavier wire to garage yet, so it may be a couple weeks before I get to spray it.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 AM
garam
Professional

Originally Posted by gdstock
Can you post a photo?
After some sanding it looked OK so I took a chance and went ahead began repainting it. I figured if it does fall off eventually it will give me a good excuse to redo it. Maybe by then I'll have acquired more tools and stuff to do an even better job.

BTW I saw your thread, some time ago, on your truck. For someone who has never done body work before it sure looked like you knew what you were doing. How do you like the Harbor Freight stud welder / dent puller? Is it still holding up? I have some of their stuff and so far the only one I've been really disatified with was their 180 watt soldering gun.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:57 PM
garam
Professional

Bedliner Paint Job?-imag0032.jpg
Here is what I got done so far. The bedliner on the rest of the truck didn't turn out as nice as it did on the rocker panels that I did previously. I think Rustoleum added a little more texture to the stuff since I got it last.
I think it would have turned out better if I had sprayed it using a compressor and gun. BTW the new stuff blended well with the old on the rocker panels.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 PM
gdstock
Legend

The stud welder has worked great. Sometimes when I buy tools, especially specialty items, I will buy with the thought that if it gets me through the project, it has paid for itself if it craps out later. I compared this one to one that a firend got from Eastwood for about 2 1/2 times the price - - they are exactly the same except the color of the housing!

I bought a $200 or so compressor from Lowes several years ago to build a house. it finally died on me the other day. It only generated 5+ CFM at 90 psi, ans was not really enough to sand and paint without waiting. While I was cuissing it for dying - - I realized I bought it in 1994. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you get luicky. My other projects will not require the stud welder, but is in the tool cabinet just in case.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:25 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread bump...

My rockers are destroyed currently so I was considering a roll on job this fall. But my current idea was to go to the top of my silver stripe with bedliner and redo the white paint on the hood and roof as they are both starting to peel. There's also two red pinstripes on the top of the silver that I would redo into green lines, maybe bigger or smaller or integrate a design into it.

What I'm getting to is, garam, do you have any current photos? or even some full truck pics of it halfway done? My truck is supposed to be turning into a playtoy only, so I'm not too concerned with perfection.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I did it to the bottom half of my truck 2 years ago and i used spray cans...hasnt dulled nor has it chipped or scratched and i am currently painting my whole truck with bedliner...i have front clip done and looks great BUT i put black glossy engine enamal over it....did it all with spray cans and looks awesome....but i also had 40-50 hours spent just sanding my truck...i scuffed it down to bare metal/ primer before i added paint though

Quick Reply: Bedliner Paint Job?