2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Bedliner Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:10 AM
garam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FireDodge
Thread bump...

My rockers are destroyed currently so I was considering a roll on job this fall. But my current idea was to go to the top of my silver stripe with bedliner and redo the white paint on the hood and roof as they are both starting to peel. There's also two red pinstripes on the top of the silver that I would redo into green lines, maybe bigger or smaller or integrate a design into it.

What I'm getting to is, garam, do you have any current photos? or even some full truck pics of it halfway done? My truck is supposed to be turning into a playtoy only, so I'm not too concerned with perfection.
Do to the weather lately I haven't had the chance to do much more to it. I tried doing the red stripe on the side of the hood earlier this week but it didn't turn out good. It was the first three days I had off and it didn't rain. I still had some wind to contend with and on top of that I think I thinned my paint a little to much and had some major paint runs. On my next three days off I will try to redo it if the weather permits.
I would suggest getting a sprayer and spraying the bedliner on. I thought the roll on bedliner did fine on my rocker panels but I can see some roller lines on some parts the rest of the truck.

BTW if you get some blemishes in it later on or think it's fading a little just Armor All it and it'll look like new. FWIW to cover about 85-90% of the (extended cab) truck, with two coats will probably take a little over a gallon of the Rustoleum bedliner. That's not including the bed of the truck.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:29 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance you could take a quick pic sometime? I was hoping someone would have a thread with different stages of their bedliner. I think, depending on costs, I may paint the top of the truck a lime or true green color instead of white. I kind of have a crazy idea to make my truck into a Mountain Dew themed truck. I see a lot of Monster themes but no MD's. It might be over the top, but to each their own I guess .

Old 08-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Biblethumpncop

I painted my VW Baja Bug almost 2 years ago with UPOL Raptor UV protected, tintable bedliner. I used automotive OD Green paint to tint it. I used a compressor to paint it on. I liked the results. It was important to me to have UV protection since I live in Az. It never faded on me, even though it was parked outside. I sold it a few months ago, but the bedliner looked just fine.

Name:  133cc80e.jpg
Views: 9468
Size:  377.6 KB

I'm tempted to do the same thing to my newly purchased 98 Ram.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Was that really a three-speed trans???

Looks like a fun toy though.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Biblethumpncop

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Was that really a three-speed trans???

Looks like a fun toy though.
No, the ashtray was from an autostick. This was a fun car. 4spd, 1600sp, 3" body lift, 3" suspension lift + 27.5" tires= a desert bug that didn't scratch, and was 7" taller than a standard bug.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I remember the 'auto-sticks'..... interesting, but, I never wanted to work on one.

Quick Reply: Bedliner Paint Job?