2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Adjust brakes on 1999 ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012 | 02:35 PM
mstruhs
|
Default Adjust brakes on 1999 ram 1500

To pass inspection I need to adjust my parking brake. I read that it is best to just adjust the brakes themselves. I have read two conflicting statements.
1) tells me to remove the small rubber cap on the rear wheel and click the adjustment star wheel and tighten the brakes.
2) I read or saw a video which says there is no adjustment plug hole on the 1999 ram.

I have sen some pics of wheels and the rubber plug and I see nothing like that on my wheel. this video shows what mine looks like, and he says there is not way to get at the star wheel on some dodges.

Hmmm anyone know about this

Old 07-23-2012 | 04:04 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

IMO it is better to take the drums off and inspect the brakes. there could be a good possibility that the adjuster may be seize and will not turn even if the access hole is there.

Old 07-23-2012 | 06:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Look and see what ya got. There SHOULD be an adjustment hole... it may be capped though, or, the knockout may never have been knocked out..... Taste and see.

Old 07-24-2012 | 04:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Looking is better than reading and not knowing for sure. How can we answer the question, without "looking" at your truck.

Old 07-25-2012 | 07:26 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

the slot for the brake shoes adjustment is on the inside (center of the truck) side of the backing plate.

see pics and description here.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-pictures.html

if your ebrake pedal is going to the floor, and/or not holding, simply tighten the cable adjustment in front on the gas tank. spray it with a lot of penetrating oil or wd40 first.

Old 07-25-2012 | 02:19 PM
mstruhs
|
Default Problem solved and thanks to all

There was a small knock out plate--maybe 1 inch by 3/8 inch. I ignored this hole at first--as i had seen pics of the larger one with the rubber plug. I took the wheel off tried to pull the brake drum and it was on pretty good--so after hammering a bit--I regrouped. Got under took a pic and sent to my nephew--who told me the smaller hole was probably the one. Took me a while to find the adjustment wheel inside. typicall poor batteries in the flashlight and poor eyesight. I was concerned it was rusted and would not turn--not the case it turned easily and you could easily hear the click. I gave it 5 or so clicks on both sides and the park brake holds. Inspection guy should be happy

Quick Reply: Adjust brakes on 1999 ram 1500