2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

300 yard outdoor WiFi help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 300 yard outdoor WiFi help needed

any advice is appreciated.

I have a buddy with a DSL connection at his shop along the highway. His house is about 200-300 yards away with fairly open line of sight. just a few tall georgia pines in between. I have several linksys WRT54G routers with external antenna ports that I can use.

the objective is to share the shop's internet connection with his house, and avoid a second DSL line, and/or a long wire down through the yard. it doesn't have to be real fast. 10Mbps is plenty.

in the shop, he has ac power and we have the ability to place the router and antenna anywhere we wish. it can be covered or not.

is there a reasonably priced antenna that will shoot the wifi signal about 300 yards down to his house, and penetrate into a standard 3 BR brick house. We could put a second WRT54G configured as an AP in a window of the house if needed.

maybe an antenna like this attached to the router?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-20dBi...item4abb36a778

School me please.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

A Better antenna at the router might be all you need. Also placement of the router is key. You want it high up in the middle no obstructions line of sight etc.

If you just cant get there with old tech. You might give one of the better "N" routers a try. You have to have n wifi on the clients as well to see the benefit. By itself a well implemented 3X3 mimo N router and capable n wifi client can see nearly twice the range of a non mimo "G" setup. I was able to get extreme reliability with an "n" setup in an induustrial environment on a crane control I built. Dialing back max bandwidth practically doubled my range.

S should be even better if it ever matures.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i understand how one hi-gain directional antenna can shoot the wifi signal a fairly long distance from the AP down the house where a PC will live. But how do you get the return signal from the house back to the source AP? Does this require a second AP configured as a repeater, with a similar directional antenna?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For ***** n giggles, you could place the router outside, of course you'll what it to protected from the weather, and use a laptop at the house and see what kind of wireless signal you pickup. Might not need much help.

You could use Pico's and Nano's, or a Bullet, but that would probably be overkill for that short a distance....

We get wireless from the Point Lookout AP at one spot on our property, up top on the hill with a view of lookout, we have a MikroTik Groove and a Parabolic Antenna setup and we bridge the signal to the house via 2 Buffalo Wireless Routers.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Search NetGear. Specifically HERE. It is what I used between two offices.

Last edited by gdstock; 08-28-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

here's a linksys diagram that's very close to what i want to accomplish. the only difference is the shop will have a single device wireless router, rather than 2 devices.

so i need a source wireless router with directional antenna at the shop. then at the house - a matching wireless router (configured as a repeater), also with a directional antenna. this allows multiple devices at the house, including laptops and phones, to connect to the internet.

i don't think? the wired ports on the house router would be usable.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.as...articleid=4200

Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 PM
gdstock
Legend

A wireless router at each location, an access point at each location (that plugs into RJ45 in router) and an antenna at each place. The antenna plugs into access point. That's all there is.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i understand how one hi-gain directional antenna can shoot the wifi signal a fairly long distance from the AP down the house where a PC will live. But how do you get the return signal from the house back to the source AP? Does this require a second AP configured as a repeater, with a similar directional antenna?
High gain antennas also allow one to recieve a weaker signal. IOW they go both ways...Usually the higher gain antennas are more directional than the standard issue whips which can also help filter spurious signals but require even more fore thought in setup.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Johnny2Bad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the Netgear recommendation. I was able to get 250' of range with just the Netgear router alone last time I needed to. Compared to the problems ive had getting a Linksys to work it was night and day.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:05 AM
drewactual
Champion

set up a repeater... implement an additional router in between, set to connect to source router, and on separate channel w/ MAC filter and static IP to end router.... problem solved..

Quick Reply: 300 yard outdoor WiFi help needed