2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

300 yard outdoor WiFi help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NetGear access point will plug right into exisitng router, if it has ports available. connect acntenna to AP, and set antenna outside. Some are directional, some are omni-direcctional. Get router for the house and connect access point and antenna. Connect this to the internet connection point in router. Set this antenna outside (if directional the challenge will be to line them up for best signal strength). Boot up an surf!

I shoot the signal across the courthouse square and it is a stronger signal than the county uses at the courthouse, so there is no issue with signal strength. I use directional to minimize the risk of someone capturing signal (even though it is encrypted).

Even though antenna is a white "pad looking" thing, no one really notices it.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might try searching the web for "cantenna". Oughta do the trick, and do it very economically, too.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cantenna hooked to a wireless access point seems like the way to go.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:48 AM
intense00
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
set up a repeater... implement an additional router in between, set to connect to source router, and on separate channel w/ MAC filter and static IP to end router.... problem solved..
That is what I have done and it works great. Used an old linksys and flashed the firmware to act as a repeater.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to run a LAN party in a particular town, and we made a cantenna to catch the neighbor's internet from across the street and through two buildings lmao love it

Quick Reply: 300 yard outdoor WiFi help needed