2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Just ordered Hughes Plenum Kit...finally

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Z.rawk95
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered Hughes Plenum Kit...finally

Well, I finally got my dad convinced on the blown plenum thing and ordered it last night as well as stuff for a tuneup (blue cap and wires of course). Cant wait to get it all put in. How much of a pain in the butt is it to put it on though?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to say but you spent money you didn't have to spend. A fellow member sales them on ebay for a lot less. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-A...5aedce&vxp=mtr

Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pick and choose where you want to buy.

Research the sticky plus the tons of threads where ppl share their success and falling dominos. Lol

No brownie points for ppl scorning others on their path. He somehow understands the potential problem.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Some people just choose to buy from a known manufacturer and dont like to purchase things from ebay. Personal preference.

Make sure to replace timing chain with a double roller while your in there.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Pick and choose where you want to buy.

Research the sticky plus the tons of threads where ppl share their success and falling dominos. Lol

No brownie points for ppl scorning others on their path. He somehow understands the potential problem.
Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Some people just choose to buy from a known manufacturer and dont like to purchase things from ebay. Personal preference.

+1 Take your time and have fun.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:52 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv

I understand some people don't like ebay but Brian's (1999blkdakrt) aluminum plenum plates are identical to the Hughes plate. Both are CNC cut patterned off the original stamped steel plate and both are made of 1/4" thick T6061 aluminum.

The opportunity is there to save a few $$$ on the job if people desire. If they would rather spend it with a known manufacturer then it's their choice. Personally I like saving a few $$$ when I can buy the identical iece for a lesser price. Just MHO.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
I understand some people don't like ebay but Brian's (1999blkdakrt) aluminum plenum plates are identical to the Hughes plate. Both are CNC cut patterned off the original stamped steel plate and both are made of 1/4" thick T6061 aluminum.

The opportunity is there to save a few $$$ on the job if people desire. If they would rather spend it with a known manufacturer then it's their choice. Personally I like saving a few $$$ when I can buy the identical iece for a lesser price. Just MHO.

I concur. Why spend more for the same thing? The cost savings would pay for timing set, or cap and wires, etc. It is about being prudent while shopping, and reading the approriate threads and considering the recomendation of others here.

I bought mine from eBay...no problems, works great, and savings used for other things I needed.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.rawk95
How much of a pain in the butt is it to put it on though?
I really hope you have downloaded the service manual. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Z.rawk95
Professional

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Well, the hughes kit comes with all the gaskets and a new thermostat and the whole 9 yards, and the ebay one says "This plate and bolts combined with the Felpro gasket kit will run you about 90 bucks total investment for a sure fix for your nagging plenum pan gasket issue" so im sure buying the other stuff that the hughes kit comes with would probably make the savings substantially less. Although, I will say I probably wouldve gone with the ebay one had I known about it.

Quick Reply: Just ordered Hughes Plenum Kit...finally