2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What I did labor day weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Karride
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I did labor day weekend...

I took the long weekend and replaced my plenum pan on my new (to me) truck, along with all the other suggested replacements (Timing set, water pump, hoses, Thermostat, and ignition), and also converted to a Electric fan.

I have never replaced a timing set before and was somewhat nervous about messing it up, but thanks to all the info here I did it and had no trouble. I got everything done in about 24 hours worth of work. To anyone who is

nervous about doing this the plenum pan, I would say if you are reasonably mechanically inclined, you can do this.

Truck is running smooth now, and seems to have a lot more pep than it did before. Used to I had to really push the gas to get going, now just a little pedal does the trick

I meant to take a lot more pictures, but got engrossed in the work and forgot.

Here is my engine at the start

All the accessories removed. the upper hose was frozen in place, so I just cut it since I was replacing it anyway.

I think I had a leak, what do ya'll think?

Old timing set, lots of play.

Everything reinstalled up to the water pump (I know, I suck at taking pictures).

Prepped plenum from junkyard donor installed

On to the Electric fan, I got a Mark VIII, shaved off its mounting ears and mounted it into the stock fan cowling. Almost a perfect fit!

Fan controller and fuse mounted on Passenger side firewall (Wire will be wrapped in split loom later...stuff I bought was not big enough.

Hard to see in this picture, but the fan clears the water pump by about 1/4"....If I had to do it over, I would set the fan in by about an inch for more clearance.

Engine bay now. Still need to buy some split loom for those fan wires.

Bottom of pulled plenum....Yummy!

The plenum pan gasket seemed to be intact, but there was a fair amount of oil sitting in the pan,, and it was all under the gasket.

Bad PCV Valve maybe causing the oil issues? I'm going to replace just to be safe.

Some things I learned:
Labelingeverything really, really helps.

If renting tools, test them thoroughly before leaving the store. I spent an extra 45 minutes putting the balancer back on because my installer tool needed some encouragement.

In my opinion, an extra pair of hands is essential. at a minimum, you need someone to jam the flywheel so you can torque the balancer back on.

Once you get the fan, shroud, and accessory bracket out, climb down in the engine bay to work as others have suggested; Your feet will curse you, but your back will thank you

Much as it sucks, I agree with replacing all the stuff people say you should replace when doing this.

in addition to all the other things people say you should replace when doing this, I would add replace the valve cover gaskets. At a minimum, check that the bolts are properly torqued...most of mine were finger loose!)

Last edited by Karride; 09-06-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Karride
Bad PCV Valve maybe causing the oil issues? I'm going to replace just to be safe.
Yep, that's a failed PCV valve.

in addition to all the other things people say you should replace when doing this, I would add replace the valve cover gaskets. At a minimum, check that the bolts are properly torqued...most of mine were finger loose!)
Our valve cover gasket bolts are notorious for backing out like that, and in no more than the span between oil changes. If I ever get up off of my lazy backside and do it I might have a workable fix, but I'm not going to make noise about it until I know it's a fix and not just busy work.

Good on ya for taking that job on and doing it up right!

Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice work. congrats.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Uggh...I know I can do this, and I know it needs to be done, and it's basically unbolting stuff and bolting it back on....but...ughh...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Karride
Amateur

I understand not wanting to. Now that I've done it, I could probably do it in half the time...not eager to try anytime soon though

Old 09-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Karride
Amateur

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Our valve cover gasket bolts are notorious for backing out like that, and in no more than the span between oil changes. If I ever get up off of my lazy backside and do it I might have a workable fix, but I'm not going to make noise about it until I know it's a fix and not just busy work
Maybe if nothing else some threadlocker on the studs? Funny thing to me was it was only the outer studs that were loose, inners were still fine.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe if nothing else some threadlocker on the studs?
That'd probably do the trick. I'm going to throw hardware at it.

Funny thing to me was it was only the outer studs that were loose, inners were still fine.
The outers are on the hotter side of the head, so see more thermal expansion.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good work OP. Take better pics next time. jk

termah espanshun, whatevah

Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

well done, good job man.

Quick Reply: What I did labor day weekend...