2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

what do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
So sell him your 1500!

My first rule: Never buy a used vehicle showing any signs of neglected maintenance. All the money the previous owner saved by neglecting the thing will come out of your pocket ten times. It's just not worth it. It's always cheaper to pay more for something that's been well maintained throughout its life, and you're far less likely to end up walking down the shoulder of the road.

My second rule: Chances are that all previous owners were morons, so never buy a modified vehicle. Buy unmodified and then do the work you want done. It's one thing if a guy upgrades sensibly, but if you see a low dollar loud exhaust, cheap wheels, etc. it's time to move on.

My third rule: Never, ever violate the first two rules. You might spend months searching for a vehicle that has been properly cared for but that's far, far better then spending weeks fixing up someone else's broken 5h17.

That mean you would never buy my truck?!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by Karride
My truck had similar problems (except mine doesn't have cancer) and I paid $3400 for it, just for a comparison. It is a 4x2 with 201K miles so I don't know how much of a price difference that would make, but I think $3000 was a reasonable offer, and $5500 is ridiculous.

What's his justification for such a high price? that's pretty far above market value.
he bought it 12 years ago with 18k on it for 22k, so he feels its still worth 5500. hes also going off of kelly blue book(which is retarded on his part).

oh and the fact that he just bought a brand new 1500.

So sell him your 1500!

My first rule: Never buy a used vehicle showing any signs of neglected maintenance. All the money the previous owner saved by neglecting the thing will come out of your pocket ten times. It's just not worth it. It's always cheaper to pay more for something that's been well maintained throughout its life, and you're far less likely to end up walking down the shoulder of the road.

My second rule: Chances are that all previous owners were morons, so never buy a modified vehicle. Buy unmodified and then do the work you want done. It's one thing if a guy upgrades sensibly, but if you see a low dollar loud exhaust, cheap wheels, etc. it's time to move on.

My third rule: Never, ever violate the first two rules. You might spend months searching for a vehicle that has been properly cared for but that's far, far better then spending weeks fixing up someone else's broken 5h17.

i dont sell vehicles to friends, because if something catastrophic happens to it, then it could fall back on me.

besides, he knows what ive done to it, and knows it needs some things, and i would never get what i want for it from him because he knows so much about it.

other than that i completely agree with you. but id rather buy something that may need a little work, so that way i know it would be fixed, and fixed right.

when i told him about the rear main, he was like "what? really? it doesnt leak oil" acting like i was lying to him. the he said that it was coming from up top. even if it was, its still not good.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Jigabop
Champion

well that would make sense..plenum leak would drip oil down the back...

Old 09-11-2012, 05:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Black 1500 at a used car dealer down the road from me for $1500 IIRC. I'll look on the way by in the A.M. to check the price.

And Redneck, are you in for Saturday heater core replacement? Some more money to go to those diffs you want.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
the he said that it was coming from up top. even if it was, its still not good.
Your friend might just be onto something. Take a look at your valve cover gaskets.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for reference my truck '01 1500 rc/sb with a 5spd, was bought at auction for $4000 with 128K miles on it. It had no rust on the wheel wells or anywhere else on the body (not the case now...) and it had minor sun damage on the hood. Interior was perfect (minus cracked dash).

The bad: blown plenum, worn out suspension components, and some worn steering components.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I just paid $2500 for my 97 extended cab with 171k on the clock. At that price, I don't mind spending a few hundred here or there. He is asking way too much.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 PM
redhemi06
Professional

ya if i could do mine over again i probably wouldnt have bought it and looked more for another one. i had found a few other trucks but wanted a rcsb with a 5.2l and 4x4 well thats what i got. it does have 245k miles but i dont really care seeing as im picking up another 5.2 soon and rebuilding it and rebuilding a tranny and pretty much going to restore everything on it. i paid 4k for my 1996 dodge ram 1500 slt rcsb 4x4 with 6" lift and 35"tires on 15" american racing rims.it had also just been repainted (shoulda waited to awhile to see how it would cure) but the interior wasnt too bad just needs a whole new dash. the guy replaced a lot of the front suspension stuf but gonna upgrade it to bd diesel components when i do the swap as well as yukon 4.54's front and back. rip the seat out of a wrecked 03-present truck and get it repainted. just wanna get it to a nice running no problem truck. no heavy modifications except for the lift. back on topic, 5500 for all those problems? keep looking!

Last edited by redhemi06; 09-11-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Reallunacy

I just bought a '94 single cab 1500 with the 5.2L that needed a trans line and plenum plate replaced for $1750 cash. I would tell your friend to keep looking.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So sell him your 1500!

Why no mention of hookers and blow? What about beer? There should be rules for those, you know?