2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Electric Fans

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the funds to do a $540 fan setup and you really want it, go for it. That is a very nice setup. There are alot, if not most, of the mods people do to their trucks that dont save money

Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Fosho...with my mods I did it ALL for the mpgs!!

Indeed the gripping negative Nancy's stocking2 and crazywolfie are full of life.

@Guzman -- Get back to this thread dude!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wh1t3nukle
fosho...with my mods i did it all for the mpgs!!
rotflmao

Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 PM
guzman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fans

I did all of my modifications for more power and if I get better gas mileage thats a plus. We pull a horse trailer with the Ram most of the time its in use so thats why I had to get some fans that put out some CFMs for the Kansas heat, don't think those El Cheapos from AutoZone or wherever would have done the trick. I opted to hook the fan switch to a manual lighted toggle rather than the A/C mode and also hooked up two idiot lights inside the cab to tell me when the fans are running. I bought a electric digital guage and mounted it in the kegger then used the stock sending unit mounted in a tube I bought on ebay and it runs in the upper radiator hose so I still have my OEM guage working although it does not read till the thermostat opens up. Fan one kicks on about 195 now and fan 2 has not kicked on yet since its cold here in flyover land but I expect it will come summertime. I spent ALOT of time hardwiring, shrinkwrapping and plumbing the myriad of wires that I had strung all over the engine compartment from all the hookups but in the end it was all worth it after my first drive. I used this forums tips for many things I did so Thanks much to those who did writeups.

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
they look good but i don't understand how you can spend $540 on them. you will never get your money back out of them. i know i got electric fans for my 81 and don't even think i will see the $40 i put into them back. some of the best gas mileage i have ever got was with the mechanical fan. haven't even come close to my best gas mileage numbers since i installed the electric fans.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 AM
stocking2
Amateur

every body has a reason to back them self up , but $80 vs $500 to do the same job you lost, i live in las vegas area has higher heat then kansas. trust me the autozone fan control works perfect and easy installation. only 4 wires to connect, battery positive, ground, switch on positive , and the ac positve, i get all power form the ac relay in the engine compartment, no messy wiring, took me only half hour for installation. 2 fan only draws 20 amps, thoes fan never come on high way drive.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM
guzman
Professional
Default Fans

I am not entering your pissing contest....your happy with your setup and I am happy with mine. End of story.

Originally Posted by stocking2
every body has a reason to back them self up , but $80 vs $500 to do the same job you lost, i live in las vegas area has higher heat then kansas. trust me the autozone fan control works perfect and easy installation. only 4 wires to connect, battery positive, ground, switch on positive , and the ac positve, i get all power form the ac relay in the engine compartment, no messy wiring, took me only half hour for installation. 2 fan only draws 20 amps, thoes fan never come on high way drive.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:17 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That chit looks awesome.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by guzman
I did all of my modifications for more power and if I get better gas mileage thats a plus. We pull a horse trailer with the Ram most of the time its in use so thats why I had to get some fans that put out some CFMs for the Kansas heat, don't think those El Cheapos from AutoZone or wherever would have done the trick. I opted to hook the fan switch to a manual lighted toggle rather than the A/C mode and also hooked up two idiot lights inside the cab to tell me when the fans are running. I bought a electric digital guage and mounted it in the kegger then used the stock sending unit mounted in a tube I bought on ebay and it runs in the upper radiator hose so I still have my OEM guage working although it does not read till the thermostat opens up. Fan one kicks on about 195 now and fan 2 has not kicked on yet since its cold here in flyover land but I expect it will come summertime. I spent ALOT of time hardwiring, shrinkwrapping and plumbing the myriad of wires that I had strung all over the engine compartment from all the hookups but in the end it was all worth it after my first drive. I used this forums tips for many things I did so Thanks much to those who did writeups.

Installation looks good. I used TCP for mine, including the fans. Sounds like a small jet engine when they both kick on 100%.And you are 100% correct on CFM. Additionally, TCP controller provides a aviety of set points.......

Originally Posted by stocking2

.....which you CANNOT get with a generic control for $4 from FLAPS. So, more CFM, more control opions.....and a more professional looking installation.....guzman wins!

Last edited by gdstock; 12-12-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

gdstock -- If you have the Spal controller and you're running the 180 tstat (I think I remember you did that for the SCT), then you should be just fine. If you ever swap to stock tstat (195F), then there is a chance the Spal will try to pull too much and poop itself. As I posted in this thread, TCP made it right.

Guzman -- thanks for coming back.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those FF fans loud?

Quick Reply: Electric Fans