2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New to Site, Intro & ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Kozmo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Site, Intro & ????

As the title says I am new to the site. Have had a few dodge trucks over the years and overall satisfied with them all. My current truck is a 2001 Ram 2 wheel drive, w/ the 318 in it. Dual exhaust, leveling kit and some nice rims and tires. Picked this one up thru a trade, about a month ago. This truck came with some Sonar after market headlights installed. They look like the are plug and play but are not very bright and my High beam indicator on dash stays on? Anyone have similar issues and or fix.
Name:  100_0694.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  112.2 KB

Thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice truck.

The aftermarket lights have a habit of being wired backwords from the factory, that's the first thing I'd look at.

If you're going to keep them, buy a nice HID kit to toss in there.

Welcome to DF, the place where the posters can spend your money faster than you can!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Kozmo
Amateur

Thanks dude, dont know if I am going to keep headlights or not. To be honest dont know how long I am going to keep truck.ha
Really missing 4x4. Dont realize how much you need / use it till you do not have it.
Do you pull a lot with your truck? gooseneck or bumper pull? Wondering if the 5.9 has that much more power than mine.
Thanks

Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I don't pull much, I have moved hay rolls and it pulls nice in 4LO. I do have a gooseneck, turnover ball hitch. Never used it. PO used it for towing cattle trailers, idk how many transmissions he went through.

The 5.9 doesn't have that much more power, but the torque comes on sooner than the 318 because of the powerband.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Kozmo
Amateur

Right on, thats what i figured, i do the same type pulling as you and your PO + hay rolls etc.. This truck stuggled with the hay. Dont think i am going to put goosneck ball in her though. Traded a chevy with a 6.0 in it for this truck, could not hardly pass a gas station with that thing + had 317,000 on her. haha. missing the power though.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Your larger tires and 3.55's don't help though. You most likely have a blown plenum too. My truck idles across a rough pasture in 4LO at about 7 mph....before I was lucky to do it at 3.

Read the sticky at the top of the Tech page.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, it's headlight miswire season here in the 2nd Gen section! It's all but certain that your aftermarket headlights are pinned for (and might even contain) 9007 bulbs. The truck is designed for 9004's, so the plugs are the same but the pinouts are different -- cross them up, and you get exactly the symptom you've described. The unfortunate part is that you can't just swap some 9004's in; the filament orientation is different and the reflectors are designed for a specific orientation. While the lamps will fit, the beam pattern will suck.

You can rearrange the wires to suit, or put some stock or stock replacement units in. If you want to diddle the wiring, there are schematics galore on the web that will show which wires go where.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YEAH! Another 2wd truck!

Where in SE Georgia are you? I lived in Fitzgerald, Ga for about 5 years.

Nice ride! Welcome to the dark side

Old 12-10-2012, 12:51 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Put some 4.56 gears in the truck. Fix the plenum and you will enjoy the power you will have out of the truck.. A good locker and some good driving will take a 2wd truck alot of places.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Kozmo
Amateur

Thanks for the replies
Unreg; probably going to go with new oem headlights anyway, the aftermarkets are not really my style, just wish there was an easy fix. i have to drive with high beams on just to see at night and that is not that bright.
Stewie: I am just down the road in Douglas
dlyter; not going to worry about gear ratios right now and am looking into the plenum problem. read the sticky, dam near more confused.haha
never heard of this problem.

Quick Reply: New to Site, Intro & ????