2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Starters

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 PM
mibzzer15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starters

Well it looks like my starter is going out....What starters do you guys recommend that are *somewhat* inexpensive.....I dont want some $300-$400 thing, something below $300 would be great...What do you guys have the best experience with?

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Is there anywhere in your area that rebuilds them? IRS alot cheaper that way or you can buy the kit and do it yourself. It's actually pretty straight forward and not difficult at all.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mibzzer15
Well it looks like my starter is going out....What starters do you guys recommend that are *somewhat* inexpensive.....I dont want some $300-$400 thing, something below $300 would be great...What do you guys have the best experience with?

Thanks.

Get a new plunger and (beefier) contacts from Nations Auto Electric. The starter in your Dodge is a NippoDenso, which is super simple to repair. I rebuilt mine two years ago and spent extra time cleaning all of the parts and using fresh grease.

Parts and shipping totaled less than $30 and all was quickly shipped.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 AM
mibzzer15
Professional

Damnit....Thank you very much guys...I actually think I would have rebuilt mine if I would have checked back here first. I ended up getting a Duralast reman from autozone (with lifetime warranty) because it was the only choice I had. I didnt want to get stuck at work and not have a ride home. It ended up being about $100 and I did not have to pay for a core charge because of my works commercial account with autozone as long as I return my old one. Again, Thank you VERY much, next time I will either replace because of warranty, or maybe just rebuild it w/e my circumstances are. Thank you!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same goes to the alternator. They're super simple to diagnose and inexpensive to repair.

Quick Reply: Starters