2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

redneck_rams 360 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stewie01
You're supposed to work till it's dark!

Looking good man!
couldnt... got.hungry and had to get changed to go.play some basketball. motor will be out.tomorrow!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

pulling the trans out with the motor. hoping it will be easier than dealing with the bell housing bolts.

however, i just thought of something. with the motor mounts unbolted, i can lower the motor just enough to get the trans off without removing the trans too.

just cant wait to get this done, and running!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It shouldn't be too hard to get them out with the right combination of extensions.

I helped in a transmission removal in a Chevy 1500 4x4, it really wasn't too bad. Probably had close to 2' of extensions though.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have one of these and your engine lift has enough lift to it, you can pull as one unit.

Name:  engineleveler.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  11.7 KB

Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 AM
trucklover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
pulling the trans out with the motor. hoping it will be easier than dealing with the bell housing bolts.

however, i just thought of something. with the motor mounts unbolted, i can lower the motor just enough to get the trans off without removing the trans too.

just cant wait to get this done, and running!
When I pulled my motor, I didn't pull the tranny with it. It wasn't that hard to get to the bellhousing bolts. I even left my hood on the truck. The cherry picker I have extends out (good ole' Harbour Freight tools!!)

Old 03-15-2013, 07:25 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
If you have one of these and your engine lift has enough lift to it, you can pull as one unit.

i dont have one of those, but ill make it work. hoist has enough lift on it to get it high enough to do so.

Originally Posted by trucklover
When I pulled my motor, I didn't pull the tranny with it. It wasn't that hard to get to the bellhousing bolts. I even left my hood on the truck. The cherry picker I have extends out (good ole' Harbour Freight tools!!)
hoist im using is also from harbor freight. took the hood of for ease of access, and more light.

Attached Thumbnails redneck_rams 360 build thread-engineleveler.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
trucklover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont have one of those, but ill make it work. hoist has enough lift on it to get it high enough to do so.

hoist im using is also from harbor freight. took the hood of for ease of access, and more light.
I don't blame you, the more room and light you have the better! I was working by myself (not to mention the part where I am a little lazy), so I was glad I was able to get the engine out without removing the hood. Putting the engine back in is the part where it seems to take forever. I guess it is where I was pretty anxious to hear the engine run. Anyway, I hope everything goes well for you.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

motors out!!!

Name:  2013-03-15140843_zps57f73fb6.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  98.7 KB

new motor will be in(hopefully) by sunday afternoon. done working on it for the day. got a busy afternoon. tomorrow ill be on the other side of the state. pretty excited about this finally coming together!

Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

yeah, but 45 bucks, vs. 180.99. think id go with a JY unit. ive had good luck with alts from jy's before. so i guess ill just go with it.
181 dollars? Holy smokers! They are rippin you off! I got mine for 80! Mine's the 120 HD towing alternator.

Say, did you pull the motor without removing the bumper? Man that'd be nice LOL.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by techningeer
181 dollars? Holy smokers! They are rippin you off! I got mine for 80! Mine's the 120 HD towing alternator.

Say, did you pull the motor without removing the bumper? Man that'd be nice LOL.
thats for a brand new one with core included.

yes i did pull it with.the.bumper on.... wasnt easy but we got it out.

Quick Reply: redneck_rams 360 build thread