2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

steering box or M1

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering box or M1

I was planning on buying a M1 in a few weeks but my truck has become increasingly difficult to drive due to the steering box. I have adjusted it several times but all it does now is make the wheel a little harder to turn, slop is still there. I really want a readhead box but I cant affors to do both the steering box and the M1 unless I go with just a oe box. So what would yall do?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Redhead.

The M1 is not a need, it is a want. And since proper steering is necessary for driving control, go with the steering box.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In general I agree with ^^ input.

Only thing to toss into the decision here (given your capability of working on the rig) is whether you've investigated the gear box and associated parts to the extent needed?

If you are absolutely sure it just a worn out box, then easy answer I think. Or there is some uncertainty as you don't want to replace the box and have the same problem occur b/c it's still present. Hope that makes sense.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No sense in adding more power if you cant drive it. ^^^ Yup. If box is definately bad, do that first.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Plenum is bad as well, though its just a sliggt leak right now. Ive replaced everythin else in the steering except for the steering box, pitman arm, and steering shaft. Which I planned to do all at once.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Plenum is bad as well, though its just a sliggt leak right now. Ive replaced everythin else in the steering except for the steering box, pitman arm, and steering shaft. Which I planned to do all at once.

Did you adjust per service manual? Tightening the wrong thing will make it harder and not remove slack. Of course excess wear can do the same.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

yes i did. I also did it a 1/4 turn at a time over 3 days for a total of 2 whole turns before i felt any difference. lol

Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
yes i did. I also did it a 1/4 turn at a time over 3 days for a total of 2 whole turns before i felt any difference. lol

Hmmm.... Time for a step up from OEM gearbox then!

You CAN rebuild it, but you will still have the OEM Saginaw box. I did not see much way to improve it on the inside.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

ive made up my mind to get the readhead steering box and a new shaft. I will just have to hold off on the M1 and cam until i sell my other truck. Hopefully i will be able to order parts in the next couple of weeks!!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Make sure to save for the inevitable trans poop after you start into the motor like that.

Quick Reply: steering box or M1