2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What torque out put do I need for rolling burnouts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
nskyline34
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
then build a 500hp truck with cheap tires... oversized sticky tires are not going to loose traction where cheap tires will on dry pavement. its why I chose my tires...I would rather hook up and go than sit there spinning while the vehicle I'm trying to pass passes me because I can't get traction.

tires really do play a huge part in this. bfg mud terrains are not going to break loose easily on dry pavement even with 1000hp. they are a sticky tire and have excellent traction. now a cheap stock tire or tire rated to last 80k miles + is going to light up easily because its a hard tire with poor traction.

and ya still didn't read it all..

40mph roll I have lit up the mud tires. you gotta power brake it to get it started though...once its started it'll stay goin. and never do it in final drive gear...you WILL break the gear trying to do it in overdrive...

I broke 5th and 6th gears in my NV5600 (6-spd manual) just by putting the skinny to the floor up a 6% grade with no weight in the truck at all from a 1500rpm start already in gear and cruising... turbo boost pegged 65psi in about a second and truck was pullin hard and boom...gears gone and free revvin...try to go into 5th, its gone too...finally ground it into 4th (synchros went with the other two gears) and got it home limping with nasty grinding noises the whole time...
Thanks Jig. What kind of power ratings are the cummins trans' good for???? Because replacing one of those is not something I want to do, nor have to buy a new trans. The only reason I like rolling burnouts is specifically so it doesnt stick. I dont need to be, or really want to be able to race on the street. Got in way too much trouble with that years ago. Fun, but not for me. Thanks for shedding a little insight on this.

What kind of turbo(s) were you running to pull 65 psi? What were those EGT's? thanks again.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 PM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by SilverSS
I'm going to have to call BS on the 750 whp Vette running 8.90's. Rolling burnouts in it should be easy though. My car with around 500 whp smokes tires easily under 60 or 70.
my bad.

here is a video. he hasnt been able to get off a clean run in a while since upping the hp

Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 PM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by GTXtreme19
Sorry, I guess I didn't shear off splines in a trans, or **** my pants, I forgot you were there with us. Here's a better question, if you already knew the answers why did you ask?
when i asked i didnt know it. I got retarded answers so I went else where. There has been 1 great response back to me.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 PM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by gdstock
Rolling burnouts on a freeway is NOT what hot rods are all about! Some of us may be old enough to remember when Hot Rodding was alll the rage. It was not about doing things on crowded highways. More for track and streets less traveled (usually at the outskirts of town) where no one was likely to get hurt (or caught by Johnny Law).

And instead of telling us what NOT to tell you, why don't you educate us about how this isn't dumb by providing intelligent reasoning, and telling us it's worth, in your opinion?

Probably a good idea
Finally someone reasonable. This isnt for everyone and I get that and I'm not one to go d*** around on the freeway. its one thing if i screw myself, a nothing if a take a family van with me. Whats the point in having a car with a top speed over 80? you "technically" cant go over 75 (maybe faster in other places here idk). But i guarantee you we all do it. same thing with my idea. cruising a back road at night or out in the middle of the desert you need some entertainment. I'm just curious what it takes to do it, that's all.

I guess we have different views of the old days. all be it I wasnt there (you may have been) but I always here about (and imagine) the stop light to stop light drags in 60's and 70's. I realize this was a dumb sounding question in the context with little explanation. Hope this helps you see my idea/perspective.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You keep talking like everyone who posted was doggin' on you the whole time. Did you read all the posts?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 AM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
You keep talking like everyone who posted was doggin' on you the whole time. Did you read all the posts?
I know, I think did read all of them (admittedly some while I was sitting in traffic) and probably didnt pay the greatest attention to all of them. I did like it how some people (probably 5 outta the 55 posters) actually could see what I was getting at. And I def respect them for it too.

Side question, what are some of the specs on that W250 you've got? Dang nice lookin 1st gen...

Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Just wondering if you read my comment. I don't care what everyone else says, i enjoy having the capability to kick my school bus of a truck sideways at 50mph. Just because I can doesn't mean the truck is unsafe to drive, or even any less streetable than stock. Nor does it mean that I put other drivers in any danger when driving.

Thanks for the complement. Specs are in my user garage.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by nskyline34
That's what hot rod are all about isn't it? WTF?! I ask a simple question and I have 40 idiots comment and a few people who actually know what's going on? And whom ever thinks its hard to keep there car hook up in the rain needs to man up. Anything short of 400 wheel hp won't do that. WHO WANTS TO DO A BURNOUT IN THE RAIN?!
Sheesh all of a sudden you're Mr.Genius and have all the answers, why do you even need us?

I'll tell you right now buddy its f*ck!n' Brutal tryin' to hook up with my '97 360 Ram with any amount of wetness or dampness on the road, I have to baby it or it goes sideways and I even got a ticket for disorderly conduct because its such a beast and burnt out without even knowing cuz I had the radio up and pulled out of a gas station kinda fast...hell even dried salt residue on our roads here in Wisconsin I'll swing my trucks @$$ loose into the next lane with anything over 1/8th throttle and I've got a posi rear end!.

Maybe you're just too short to reach the pedals and thats why you don't have traction problems like I do?. Not tryin' to slag you but I take offense to your know it all attitude, take it on the chin and become a nice boy and we'll give you good information ok? Even a toilet can handle a @$$ hole every now and then you don't have to take it so personal.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 02-01-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by nskyline34

my bad.

here is a video. he hasnt been able to get a clean run in a while since upping the hp
That's the problem lol. I trap around 124 with DR's but that's peddling it out of the hole. My car should be solidly in the 10's but I can't get out of the 11's. I'm going to change around the suspension on mine jut haven't been able to cough up the $ for coil over's. Best 60' so far was 1.64. Sounds like he has an auto too- I'd bet TH400 with a good size stall. They dyno very low. If he dyno'd 750 through a TH400 he's well over 800 at the wheels...

Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

I think it's time for this to be over. Op, no offense from me, I just wanted to know if it was a serious question and why you wanted to be able to do that. More power to you and anyone else who can. I used to drive like that in my younger days, but not any more. I don't even do burnouts in my Z28 simply because I don't want to spend more money on tires and/or, with my luck, there would be a cop around and/or I would break something...good luck with your build and if you have other questions, feel free to start another thread.

Quick Reply: What torque out put do I need for rolling burnouts?