2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Longtube headers on 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derick C.
Why are you taking them off?
Barely any clearance for my front driveshaft and its too much hassle for state inspections due to o2 sensor locations.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
Barely any clearance for my front driveshaft...
Oh, now this little snippet of info comes out (8 months later), after I bought and fitted 'em, and found out for myself

The Energy mount inserts arrived today, so I just need to find time to fit them, and see if that's enough to stop the interference on hard acceleration.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by Spillage
Oh, now this little snippet of info comes out (8 months later), after I bought and fitted 'em, and found out for myself

The Energy mount inserts arrived today, so I just need to find time to fit them, and see if that's enough to stop the interference on hard acceleration.
For someone that doesn't use their truck as a truck, or uses it very little it'll be fine. However I'm constantly putting 800+ pounds on the front end every snowstorm we get and the plow is always up and down. I don't need to destroy my driveshaft again... yes I said again! I have the energy mount inserts also, just haven't put them in yet. I like the longtubes they sound great but the craftsmanship could have been thought out a little longer and better...

Old 12-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

We'll make it work... that's what we do, right.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 PM
ScurvyPete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if anyone is interested, ill have my longtubes, and y-pipe available forsale in a couple weeks. going back to stock manifolds, and a jegs y-pipe.
Once you go back to the stock manifolds, can you do another exhaust clip video on Youtube? I loved your idle video, it pretty much sold me on that 20-745-9 cam, and the truck sounded pretty mean. I'd really like to hear what kind of difference the longtubes made in your setup.

After reading about a lot of the troubles that it seemed a lot of people were having with the longtubes, I figured that I'd just go with some shorties and do my own custom exhaust setup. I figure in the end, it'll end up sounding somewhere in the middle of your truck with the LTs and a stock manifold

Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by ScurvyPete
Once you go back to the stock manifolds, can you do another exhaust clip video on Youtube? I loved your idle video, it pretty much sold me on that 20-745-9 cam, and the truck sounded pretty mean. I'd really like to hear what kind of difference the longtubes made in your setup.

After reading about a lot of the troubles that it seemed a lot of people were having with the longtubes, I figured that I'd just go with some shorties and do my own custom exhaust setup. I figure in the end, it'll end up sounding somewhere in the middle of your truck with the LTs and a stock manifold
i sure will! it should sound damn near the same. remember, i also have the 1.7 hs rr's on top of the cam as well, so it makes the cam a bit bigger.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 AM
ScurvyPete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sure will! it should sound damn near the same. remember, i also have the 1.7 hs rr's on top of the cam as well, so it makes the cam a bit bigger.
Haha, I guess I should say that your exhaust video sold me on your valvetrain setup. I had been looking at a Hughes whiplash and 1.6 rockers, and I stumbled across your video on YouTube. I was like "WOW, that's what I want it to sound like!"
And then, once I got to looking at the cam specs with the 1.7 Harlands, it was pretty much a sealed deal

Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

OK, here's some pics of Pacesetter LT's on my 98 RAM 4x4.
And a short clip... the sensitivity of the mic (and the auto level control) on my iPhone doesn't really do it justice.

Old 12-10-2013, 12:23 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star

Thanks for the pictures. That is pretty close to the drive shaft. I'm just going to get some short tubes since i don't want to smash the exhaust offroading. You saved me from being disappointed.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Gibson were the shorties on my list if I didn't go LT's.

Other than the tight fit, so far I'm happy with these LT's.
I've recouped the lower end torque that I lost with the FI-Airgap.

As a side note; The DS O2 I put just in front of the new muffler, a similar distance back as the original location... even though there is no Cat, I'm not getting any codes.

Quick Reply: Longtube headers on 4x4?