2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Longtube headers on 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my lts, and y-pipe went back to summit today. should have my 450 bucks by next wednesday...

Old 12-15-2013, 06:37 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

so, little undate on 4x4 usage for ya... JUNK! driveshaft constantly hits the y-pipe... glad im getting rid of them. if you use 4x4 a lot, or even a little, chances are you will end up rubbing a hole into the y-pipe, or collector. not worth the 500 bucks imo...

had to drive in 2wd while on the road unless i absolutely needed 4x4. thought it was something wrong with the transmission(low fluid) but then i realized it was the exhaust being hit by the driveshaft.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
so, little undate on 4x4 usage for ya... JUNK! driveshaft constantly hits the y-pipe... glad im getting rid of them. if you use 4x4 a lot, or even a little, chances are you will end up rubbing a hole into the y-pipe, or collector. not worth the 500 bucks imo...

had to drive in 2wd while on the road unless i absolutely needed 4x4. thought it was something wrong with the transmission(low fluid) but then i realized it was the exhaust being hit by the driveshaft.
Any way to bend them a bit, to get more clearance?

Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Any way to bend them a bit, to get more clearance?
nope.. whole pipe runs in parallel with the driveshaft.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

If it wasn't for the balance weight on the drive-shaft, I wouldn't have a hit (it hits the collector)... some heat and leverage collapsed the side of the collector just enough to gain a 1/4" clearance... I know, this screws with the theoretical flow, but these are oversize for a 5.2 to start with.
Now I only get a hit if accelerating hard off the mark... I have the engine mount inserts mentioned earlier, and will report back when I have them fitted... they should help.

I could see side-load on the front suspension flexing the panhard bushings being another potential to cause a hit.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by Spillage
If it wasn't for the balance weight on the drive-shaft, I wouldn't have a hit (it hits the collector)... some heat and leverage collapsed the side of the collector just enough to gain a 1/4" clearance... I know, this screws with the theoretical flow, but these are oversize for a 5.2 to start with.
Now I only get a hit if accelerating hard off the mark... I have the engine mount inserts mentioned earlier, and will report back when I have them fitted... they should help.

I could see side-load on the front suspension flexing the panhard bushings being another potential to cause a hit.
im also lifted up front with v10 springs. so i lose an inch of height with the plow raised, which still puts me a bit higher than stock height, and i still have the issue.

again, its all personal preference. i just dont like the clearance, and i obviously hits, which is not good. for both the exhaust/engine, and driveshaft/transfercase.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Trust me, I don't like the hit either.
If I had know of the issue before the purchase (why I started this thread), I would have gone with Gibson shorties.
But, now that I have the LT's, I'm going to make them work... and it doesn't hurt that my ceramic coat LT's cost $265.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From the photos I have seen the use of a xcase index/clocking ring would help big time, but they are around $200.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Without thinking about it in more depth, I'm not thinking clocking would help in this situation.

The hit is towards the top inside edge of the collector.
The front shaft output is below the input shaft on the xcase, so clocking up would push the shaft wider and laterally closer to the collector.
Clocking down would just move the contact point lower on the collector.

Also, the point of of contact is towards the front end of the shaft (closer to the pig than the xcase) so any movement at the xcase end is going to be greatly reduced at the point of contact.

However, if the mount inserts don't do it for me, this is worth further investigation.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:47 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It does not just move the ds down it moves it down in a arc, so it goes down 2.5" and over close to 1.5" - 2".

Quick Reply: Longtube headers on 4x4?