2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Slight oil discrepincy..

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
And why would you spill it on that pretty blue paint?

I thought it was on my stripe at first!

Bummer on the metal flake oil. Hope you can find a good JY engine. What about overhauling that one?

Originally Posted by jkeaton
My take is your just stating something that happened to your truck. Your not asking a technical question of anyone, nor seeking technical advise. You are just stating your engine blew up and you guess you need a new engine. Its more of a general statement as opposed to a technical thread.
Originally Posted by zman17
Agreed.

Tough crowd......

Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I did happen to find a jy 5.9, its from a 98 and man does it look good when I cracked it open. I had my doubts, 220k on the odo, pulled it anyways. When I got it to the shop the thing looked great heads were not cracked, crosshatching is still on the cylinder walls, no sludge, cam, pushrods, lifters, bearing all looks great. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was a rebuilt about 15-25k ago.

From what I understand, to do a 5.2 swap to 5.9, all I need is a new torque converter (externally balanced from a 5.9), flex plate (from a 5.9 as well) and a ecu, which i'v been shooting some emails to hemifever for some questions on a tune.

How about injectors? are they the same?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by gdstock
I thought it was on my stripe at first!

Bummer on the metal flake oil. Hope you can find a good JY engine. What about overhauling that one?

Tough crowd......
Hot tanked then mancave coffee table

Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rumble_truck
Well, I did happen to find a jy 5.9, its from a 98 and man does it look good when I cracked it open. I had my doubts, 220k on the odo, pulled it anyways. When I got it to the shop the thing looked great heads were not cracked, crosshatching is still on the cylinder walls, no sludge, cam, pushrods, lifters, bearing all looks great. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was a rebuilt about 15-25k ago.

From what I understand, to do a 5.2 swap to 5.9, all I need is a new torque converter (externally balanced from a 5.9), flex plate (from a 5.9 as well) and a ecu, which i'v been shooting some emails to hemifever for some questions on a tune.

How about injectors? are they the same?
Check redneck_rams 360 build thread, I think he did switch injectors, but you may not need to...

Old 04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Stock injectors will work. Redneck upgraded his cause of all the mods. You listed everything you need. Running the sct tune will be easier than finding programming and swapping the ecu.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Redneck is also using stock injector's. Which are plenty for the mod's he did.

Quick Reply: Slight oil discrepincy..