2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Broken cab mount bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM
mike.trnka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken cab mount bolt

I was removing the step bars that came on my truck and the passenger side front bolt snapped off. I'm not sure how I'm suppose to get to the nut side of the mount. I pulled up the carpet in the footwell and it looks like there might be a small access plug under the special coating dodge puts on the floorboards. Otherwise there is a small hole on the front side of the bracket, if I pulled off the wheel and inner fender, I could probably look in there. Neither spot really looks like I could do much from.

Has anyone run into this? I'm just wondering how I should go about fixing it? I'm guessing its a welded in nut or the bracket itself is threaded for the bolt.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:17 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OOOO not good or fun. I don't think drilling and using a ez out is going to work for this job. I can only come up with lifting the body, remove the rubber mount and use a pipe wrench on what's left of the bolt. How much of the bolt broke off?

Hopefully someone else will have/post a better idea than mine.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 AM
mike.trnka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its broken off flush with the bottom of the cab. I pulled out the rubber mount and couldn't see anything. About an inch of threads snapped off the bolt.

I soaked it in PB blaster, maybe I'll soak it a few times a week and try to remove it in a month or two.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Month or two??? No man get it fixed sooner than that. If the bolt is broken off close to the nut then maybe a ez out will work, is there enough room to drill and use a ez out under there?

Quick Reply: Broken cab mount bolt