2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

allignment blues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM
fuellube3
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allignment blues

I've had my dodge for 3 months got the tranny rebuilt, and its always steered funny with the wheel cocked / ways. My friend whom i bought from said sears auto told him needed new tie rods pass side. No big deal right. go in to a local shop myself and he tells me pass side is 2'' shorter than drivers X( ether bent upper controll arm or bent frame. $550 for new one just to see if frame is bent. Im reaching the point where the repairs are going to be more than the truck is worth. I really like the truck but where is a smart place to draw the line and give her a new home? I havent even checked the plenum yet.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:16 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replacing tie rods is cheap and easy. See service manual in the FAQ/DIY section. Check other parts such as control arm bushings, pitman arm, ball joints, etc. and replace them yourself. Then take in for alignment.

For them to tram it for any damage or bends is usually not required (unless it had been wrecked and sustained frame or major suspension damage. Seems like someone replaced a tie rod with the wrong one. Don't remember, but I think ends are about $20 something each....

And a proper alignment should have set steering wheel correctly.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:38 PM
fuellube3
Amateur

I should have put a little more info in ther. Might have been wrecked, passenger front body panel welded more or less on, cheap coverup paint job has completley chipped off. same side tie rods adjusted all the way in. replaced both lower ball joints after they popped out 1/2 way. This is getting out of my mechanical knowledge and shop rates are $100 hr up here.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:06 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh Oh. Control arms may indeed be bent. I would look at junk yard (or other side) to see if you notice any distortion. Look at flange to see if it is wrinkled. If it is bent, it may not align. New ones are a couple hundred each...JY would be cheaper. This has to be correct to start or it will not align regardless of tie rods and other parts.

And I am thinking in Fairbanks, pickins are slim. Don't remember seeing any JYs there! Maybe under the snow.... (My sister lives in Anchorage)

Old 04-14-2013, 08:09 PM
fuellube3
Amateur

Yea I would have to order from anch. to even get tie rods apparently not many 2wd dodge 1/2 tons up here . I Looked real close and It is noticeably bent on the back side he hit something good. But to top it off the shyster Mec. left the bolts on top loose for me, almost finger tight. so it was sliding around every time i turned or hit a bump.Re tightened so at least im good for long enough to save up for new arm.

Last edited by fuellube3; 04-14-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try using the internet junkyard search to see if you can find anything in alaska, or maybe find something in canada or US that someone could ship to you.

i'd lean toward replacing both upper and lower, since the work to take it apart is about the same for one vs both. if one is bent, the other took a lick too.

U.S. prices for the upper arm range from $25-75. i have no idea how much shipping would cost.

http://car-part.com/

http://www.knikrecycling.com/ shows up in Wasilla for $75.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:46 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Best I came up with is $75 for a used part and $45 for shipping from here in BC. I don't have one but the wrecker here does. I won't post their phone number if you want it pm me.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 PM
fuellube3
Amateur

I think thats the way to go, I'll probably change both makes sense to.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM
fuellube3
Amateur

I'm going to sell it and move on, If anybody knows anybody looking for a truck in AK let me know, i have a CL add but cant put one on here for some reason.

Last edited by fuellube3; 04-22-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need 50 posts to advertize in the classified area, head over to the gibberish thread here in the 2nd gen area and go hard posting. Where you not able to get those arms from the wrecker?

Quick Reply: allignment blues