2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Opportunity to purchase a Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 AM
Mopar Mike
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opportunity to purchase a Cummins

Alright, so this kid my friend works with sold his Duramax, and bought this Cummins. He's just sank some money into it replacing the lift pump, putting on 150HP injectors, and fixing a problem the truck had staying in 5th gear (something as simple as a nut I think), and added a Smarty chip. Also, supposedly the owner before him just put in a brand new 5 speed tranny, and transfer case into the truck (although he hasn't provided any paperwork to me to prove this). However, I can tell the truck used to be an Automatic at one point in time.
Anyways, he comes up to me, asking if I wanted to buy it because supposedly he's found a 2008 Cummins that he wants, and he wants a decent down payment for it. I told him that I wasn't exactly looking for another truck, but I'm interested in anything if the price is right.
It's a 2000 Quad Cab Long Bed. 5-speed, with 260,000 miles. Lifted, no rust, very few dents. Very pretty truck. Here's the only pic I took today.

Name:  20130428_154202_zpsc0b1ba77.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  93.0 KB

As you can see the truck is blue, (and has gay *** white mirrors, that will be painted within the first 24 hours of my ownership if I buy it) but the inside of the door jams are red, so I'm concerned about past damages.

Now here's the thing that I'm most worried about. I wanted to run the VIN to run my own Vehicle History Report, but the VIN in the windshield is gone, as well as the VIN in the door jams. The truck has a clear title, which would have the VIN, but how can I be sure that it's correct to this truck? Also, he mentioned that the truck was in an accident before, and he was told the bed was replaced, but I'm wondering if the whole cab wasn't replaced as well. Where else can I look for the VIN, so I can make sure there isn't mis-matched VINs in various parts of this truck?

Anyways, with all this info in mind, I can get this truck for $7,000, which definitely has me interested, but concerned as well. So, what all do you recommend checking, to make sure this thing is legit, and not a rolling box of crap that I will regret ever having anything to do with?

Last edited by Mopar Mike; 04-29-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is a VIN on the frame rails somewhere.

And I'm glad you mentioned the gay-*** white mirrors. :P

Looks nice, but the fact that the truck wasn't painted properly leaves me worried.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get the VIN issue squared away it may not be a bad idea...

But I think I'd just keep on walkin'..... I think $7k is a lot for a truck, even a Cummins, that seems to be pieced together...

Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No VIN on the dash could be Federal problems. State at least. It is REQUIRED. It is illegal to just remove it. I'd stay away from it just for that.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

No VIN = bad news. I would not touch that truck or any vehicle with no VIN. Thats just me though.

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's me too.
Call the proper authority's in MO. and ask them what they think of a truck with no VIN.
You already have indications that things aren't square with it, walk away.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
I think $7k is a lot for a truck, even a Cummins, that seems to be pieced together...
here in pa they average 11k on local craigslist. I say its a steal, although improperly painted truck would indicate poor paint job, since jams are still original color and no vin would have me walking.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian_
here in pa they average 11k on local craigslist. I say its a steal, although improperly painted truck would indicate poor paint job, since jams are still original color and no vin would have me walking.
I think $11k for a Cummins with a VIN number and possibly better paint job is better than $7k and the issues it has/could have...

Hell, buy it, remove the Cummins and 5 speed (didn't the Cummins get a 6 spd?) and put it in your truck

Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Up here no vin = not a fun time with the law, it would be a $7000 parts truck "if" I got to keep it. Just walk away from it and let it be someone elses problem.

Edit; As a no vin truck offer him the no vin price of $1500.

Last edited by merc225hp; 04-29-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, way too many red lights going off. Bodywork on the upper door looks bad. Purchasing a truck involved in a serious collision is never a good idea. Lack of VIN can never be a good thing either. Also, you'd have to drop $2k on tires right off the bat cuz those things are BALD. Guy is dreaming at $7k

Quick Reply: Opportunity to purchase a Cummins