2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Possibly buying a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Need some advice. Pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM
wv ram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing i would also recommend is set of taylor plug wires and new higher voltage coil , you proably will have to remove the spark plug tubes ususally good set of lock pliers work there a pita . i check your vac hoses too . seen a many that gets hard cracks in trip too local junk yard a nd alittle checking should score you what u need , best of luck

Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM
SolidSnake

Hey everyone, just wanted to give you guys an update on the truck. I have started working on it. Got the ac compressor, alternator, ps pump, acc. bracket, and water pump removed. Currently working on figuring out how to remove the harmonic balancer. It looks nothing like shown in the pics. Then again I found out the truck is actually a 2000, not an 01. Anyways I rented the harmonic balancer puller tool from autozone, it didn't fit. Anything you guys know of that I can use to make removing it easier?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Can you post a pic?

If it doesn't have a pulley you can remove, (and then use the threaded holes with your puller) I think a three jaw puller, putting the jaws in the slots on the balancer, NOT around the outer edge, is the hot ticket.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to get a Mopar small block puller specifically.

Dodge does there's different than

Old 07-10-2013, 07:45 PM
SolidSnake

Update: I was finally able to remove the pulley and dampener. Got the old chain off and the new chain and sprockets on. Water pump has been replaced and I am about to start bolting back up the accessory bracket and alternator/ac compressor/power-steering pump. After that I just gotta burp the system and we should be in business.

My only concern is the accessory bracket or better yet, the two ground cables that connect to it near the power-steering pump. When removing that bolt, the two washer looking clamps on the end of those cables broke. They look easy to replace, the only issue is I don't even know what they're called or where I can buy them without having to buy a new cable.

What're your recommendations. Should I even bother replacing them or will simply making sure they're squashed between those two bolts good enough?

I meant to take some pictures while I was over there today but I forgot to. I'm assuming most of the people who have done this job knows which bolt and cables I'm referring too. If not let me know and I will grab some pics tomorrow.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd get it fixed as that is heavy duty ground. Access to any electricians? What kind of skills you got?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM
SolidSnake

That's what I figured which is why I was hoping I could just replace the washer looking clamps on the end of the two cables and re-crimp them. I will make sure to take pics of them tomorrow.

Skill wise I'm mainly focused towards computer programming but I do know how to work a cnc router, have made my own circuit boards, and done my fair share of college level electrical engineering.

I understand the importance to the two ground cables I'm just trying to fix it without having to run new cables.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

yes you can replace those ends. They are referred to as terminals. Any auto parts store will have them and im certain even walmart will have them.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep get new copper ends and solder them on with a torch and flux and use shrink tube, don't mess with just the crimp. The washers are called star washers also should be at any auto parts store.

Quick Reply: Possibly buying a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Need some advice. Pics included.