2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

how does everyone feel about electric cooling fans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:56 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Some guy posted a dyno here a while back. The dyno results showed the e-fan does add a tiny bit if you believe them. When I swapped mine out I felt like it might have added just a hint of something noticeable....about like when I went to the 52mm TB...not a ton but noticeable under the right conditions.

WOW! Ugly1 is still around! Long time....welcome back!

I installed e-fan from TCP and I love it. More expensive than the others referenced, but love the look and the operation. Programmable controller lets me set and save three different sets of parameters.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by generaljr
for me less electric motors = less trouble, i did conversion in the wife's Liberty from electric fan to engine driven fan, we got two broken fan motors at the same time, one in the Jeep ane one on a saturn sc2, the one in the Jeep was $500 at the dealer and was the only option available, my wife and kids were stranded at 70 miles from home in a 110°F day, thanks god there was a pick your part open, and got a fan and clutch for $30. one year later we still have the same set up working fine and i will never going to put a electric one again
that is the good thing about running dual electric fans 1 fan fails you still have the other one to keep the truck cool. if you rely on just 1 fan to keep a vehicle cool you are gambling. plus smart people don't usually throw out the old clutch fan when they convert to electric. i know mine is still sitting in the basement.

i also find as long as i do straight highway driving i never need them. it is just all the in town that cause things to heat up and make me turn on the fans. i also run a 180* thermostat because of the electric fans.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the TCP shroud, SPAL 16" fans, and a Flex-a-lite controller.
I like the setup, as it runs the fans at 60% (quieter), and only cranks them up further if needed (which it never seems to be with two fans... it does if only using one).
Highway driving without A/C usage does see a small improvement in MPG (~¾ for me), but with the A/C 'on' they're running all the time, and the actual net savings seems to be minimal... regardless, I'm happy and would do it again.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I darn love my efans in this 108F days!! Also when I'm on the trail, when it's surprisingly hitting the 80s!! Huge difference for around town driving like crazzzzzzy notes.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
WOW! Ugly1 is still around! Long time....welcome back!
Thanks bro.! Thankfully I've been too busy working for forum fun lately. Now that it's fairly dialed the Dodge just runs when I need it to, so no emergency posting has been necessary. My addiction to the thing will likely keep me lurking at minimum with occasional posting outburst when my turrets is too much for me to control.

I too can also wholeheartedly recommend the TCP stuff. I have their shroud and it is sweet.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get an impact gun b/t the efan shroud and the front of the engine.

Quick Reply: how does everyone feel about electric cooling fans?