2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Aren't you glad you bought a Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put gas in the S10 and change the oil...

recently changed the headlight switch out, coolant temp sensor and put 4 new tires on it. Coolant temp sensor I did when I bought it as it wasn't running right and the previous owner couldn't figure it out lol. took me all of 5 minutes to fix it and a free part.

headlight switch was also a free part from the donor vehicle. 10 minute fix. really only have had to put a battery in it cause the old one was dead from sitting for over a year, and put new tires on it... gas and oil changes and it just runs forever

still gotta find some ebrake cables for it since I did swap rear ends in it. (for p-trac and rear disc brake upgrade) direct bolt in affair, but the ebrake cables are different going from drum to disc/drum combo rears... (drum ebrake inside the rotor)

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM
dman12323
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear s10 are reliable and easy to fix. I honestly like the little trucks like the Ford Rangers and S10. There small little fun trucks. I wish I had've kept my old lil 86 Ford Ranger.She wasn't reliable but she sure was fun to drive around. Only had her for like 4 months before she really started acting up.The tranny was pretty bad on her. Each time we shifted into Park she would keep rolling in drive. I never had to experience any problems with that issue because I always apply the parking brake when I park. But my cousin ran it into my grandmother's house. My cousin also parked at a grocery store and while he was shopping. It rolled back and hit a Tahoe. I finally got tired of driving in a "pos" and the parking brake was starting not to hold so I had no choice but to trade her in. But I have to admit, Some of those little trucks will just keep running and running...

Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Mopar Mike
Veteran

Originally Posted by Jigabop
Ahahaha.

he shoulda kept the S10...

I have an older one and love it. super easy to work on and very reliable. not much that can go wrong with it because it's so damn basic...

only complaint other than gearing and wanting to swap the trans that I've just been too lazy to do (already have a donor vehicle for the trans) no A/C! lol so when it's a warm/hot day I drive the ram...when it's a cooler day I will drive the S10.

I wish he would have kept it, or just sold it to me cheap. lol It was a 2003 4.3 Vortec, 5 speed 2wd ZQ-8 Package and a single cab. That thing was quick, and was even quicker after he got done putting parts on it. Still got about 24-27 mpg on the highway.

Last edited by Mopar Mike; 07-24-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

Originally Posted by Mopar Mike
I wish he would have kept it, or just sold it to me cheap. lol It was a 2003 4.3 Vortec, 5 speed 2wd ZQ-8 Package and a single cab. That thing was quick, and was even quicker after he got done putting parts on it. Still got about 24-27 mpg on the highway.
Dayum! That's a lot of motor for that lil S10....I know my brother has a 4-banger in his, but considering the PO, it's beginning to die. Even still, the thing has some pep lol

Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Jigabop
Champion

mine has the lil 2.5L 4-banger aka the "iron duke"

all cast iron motor. near indestructible. I did a head gasket on my old one as it was just starting to mix fluids and the pistons still looked like new! cylinder walls had no markings on them, the motor just wasn't really showing signs of wear internally and it had over 200,000 miles on it!

great little trucks if you get one with a manual transmission.

as for yours beginning to die...how so? does it have good power when you first start it but fall on its face when it warms up? if so that's the temp sensor...

if it doesn't know it is warmed up it will still try to run in choke mode and run too rich and fall on its face...(both of my s10's had that issue) swap the sensor and problem solved cheap fix too.. little $5 part and it's super easy to get to. top front of the motor next to the thermostat.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

Well, due to poor maintenance and it being in several (and I mean SEVERAL) accidents, engine has some clacking and ticking. He just replaced the starter, cam, and crank sensor, and even with all that noise it's still running decently and he's getting ok gas mileage. I told him (my bro) to keep driving it, and to replace some rotted out vacuum hoses. He's also habitually lazy about basic maintenance, so I have to kick him in the *** when I know it's coming time for him to do an oil change and stuff like that lol

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM
abdodge1500
Professional

a guy in my neighborhood has a tundra, one day my friend jokingly said "I'm gonna steal your truck" and the guy was like "go ahead take that POS" I've never asked him if he had problems with it but just assuming........

Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Was it a 1st gen Tundra? They couldn't get out of their own way.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I think this thread has run it's course as well.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I think this thread has run it's course as well.
It's course -- what?

That's apostrophe abuse!!!

Quick Reply: Aren't you glad you bought a Dodge?