2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

New Dash - Anyone had the nerve?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 AM
afgunn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dash - Anyone had the nerve?

Last fall while between jobs, I took 4, yes 4 days, to put a new dash in my truck to replace the very cracked original dash. I worked until I got frustrated and then stopped. Has anyone had the nerve to try some type of cleaner/protector like AmorAll? If so what product would you recommend and has anyone had any problems with a new dash cracking?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you install a new aftermarket with the new plastic? or a junkyard original version of the old plastic.

if its new plastic, you probably don't need anything, but - armorall won't hurt.
if its old plastic, you need to keep it out of the sun, as in cover it with a towel or blanket to keep the direct sunlight off it, as well as the intense heat that builds up from the windshield. my 01 had a perfect dash when i got it, but shame on me i parked it out in the sun at work and then.... snap, crackle, pop.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ArmorAll is the worst product that can be used on vinyl dashes, because once applied it has to be repeatedly used; otherwise, the item in question will crack and break.

That aside, ArmorAll isn't a protectant for the types of plastic the dash is made from.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM
afgunn

The most sickening thing was that I shopped around and had to go to KY from NC to get the truck I wanted WITHOUT a cracked dash. The dash was NOT cracked, and then, the dealer "prepped" it before I took it off the lot (big mistake!). When my wife got in the truck after turning in the rental car (45 minutes later) she asked, "Did you know the dash is cracked!" Yep, it had three cracks already and it was down hill from there!

I installed a NEW aftermarket (not from the Dodge dealer) dash and have used no cleaner/protectant product as yet. My dash is camel colored.

What would be a proper protectant? I tried Meguiars and the old dash continued to crack, but that could have been from the original whatever that was used. Years ago, I know some who used baby oil. Also, I use a sun shade in all my vehicles religiously.

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be okay with the aftermarket plastic. It is designed to hold up to the sun. Your precautions won't hurt though.

Did you get anything from the dealer since they damaged your truck after you bought it?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 new dash, with new plastic, will be fine.

don't fret about the old dash, once it cracks that first little tiny split, its simply the first of a thousand to follow. had it not cracked during the dealer prep, it would have started anyway within a couple of months. no top coating can prevent it nor stop it once it starts. the only thing that can lengthen its life is to cover it up and keep it out of the sun to prevent it from becoming brittle.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:21 PM
afgunn

Wombat Ranger
No, I did not get anything from the dealer. I did not try since I am in NC and they were in KY and not a Dodge dealer as well. I am sure he was as ignorant as most on this problem. I never stopped to think that they would use something on the dash and all other plastic in the interior. Believe me, I felt sick, sick, sick...

Do I understand you guys correctly? Will it be OK to use Meguiars on the new dash?
Thanks.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Just use a wet rag and wipe the dirt/dust off. I could never stand the glare from a shiny dash anyway.

I have a hard time believing any automotive product could affect the molecular structure of a polymer to the point of causing it to fail, but stranger things have happened. My dash was cleaned and had Armor All on it for ten years before the first cracks appeared. Then I moved to TX for a couple years and it went to hell. It has never sat indoors either. So getting ten years out of a flimsy plastic dash is just fine by me. I will eventually replace it with LMC unless a better one comes out.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Best thing you can do for a dash, any dash, is use one of those reflective sun shield things whenever you are parked and/or a carpeted dash pad.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:59 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Best thing you can do for a dash, any dash, is use one of those reflective sun shield things whenever you are parked and/or a carpeted dash pad.
I agree with this^

Thick sun shades, window tint crack a window, and above all else, park under a tree if you can. Keeps the cab cool and saves the dash.

Quick Reply: New Dash - Anyone had the nerve?