2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Need a little help. NON-Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need a little help. NON-Dodge

As some may know I bought an '03 325I (BMW) back in Feb. Anyway Iv'e put about 9100 miles on it since then with no major problems.

But there is one (minorish) problem that is baffling me quite bad and the one BMW forum I'm on is FVCKIN usless. All they do over there is joke around and act like @sses. Good for a laugh and that's it.

Now the problem:

Every so damn randomly the thing stalls. It's only done it in drive (auto) and when I press the gas. It's happened hot, cold, running 2 minutes or 20. It doesn't matter.

It's happened about 8-10 times. No codes. No sputtering. Nothing. It's like I shut it off with the key. Every time it'll start right up and run fine.

It only has 91,xxx miles and runs/shifts fine. Except for a slight miss at idle when cold. But it's not enough to throw a code. It has the DBW (drive-by-wire) throttle body, not cable.

I've come across the possibility of the cam sensors and fuel pump. I don't think either of those would cause it. I would suspect there would be some drivability issues.

I'm at a loss on what it could be.

Any ideas to check?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 AM
Paul DeHayes
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't some of those types of systems have a pedal sensor? Could be a short or a bad sensor somewhere. It just sounds like something I've experienced before in my friend's Prius (she tried to get down on it one day going through the mountains and ended up putting the car in essentially electronic limp mode)

Old 09-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Keebler

Hey I have an 2001 Dodge ram 4x4 and im haveing a problem when baking up and its not smooth at all can someone help me with this please

Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keebler
Hey I have an 2001 Dodge ram 4x4 and im haveing a problem when baking up and its not smooth at all can someone help me with this please
Need to start your own thread in the tech section, provide all details about your truck and more details about the issue.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
itate
Rookie

My wife's 97 Z3 with a 2.8 did this and it turned out to be a split in the air tube between the mass air flow sensor and throttle body. It would start and idle good but as soon as you let out the clutch it would sputter and stall and it never threw a code. Just curious, what spark plugs are in the 325?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Rescue35
Professional

Could be as simple as a wire shorting out.

I had a 74 CJ5 that would occasionally stall when turning right. Ended up being an unused wire touching the coil body and shorting it out. Simple fix and great anti theft device.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by itate
My wife's 97 Z3 with a 2.8 did this and it turned out to be a split in the air tube between the mass air flow sensor and throttle body. It would start and idle good but as soon as you let out the clutch it would sputter and stall and it never threw a code. Just curious, what spark plugs are in the 325?
I don't know what plugs are in it right now. Whatever was in there when I bought it. I plan on changing them in the next couple months. Could be originals for all I know.

As far as the intake boots, it does have a hole(s) in it. When the rpm's get above 4000 it'l start whistling. Very annoying. Just haven't replaced them yet.

You replaced the boots and all was fine? If so, I hope that's the problem here. Those were on the to do list also.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM
itate
Rookie

The section that lets the boot flex had a inch and a half split, I did a shadetree fix with permatex to hold it over until I replaced it. That fixed it and let me tell you it was a pita to track down. It surprised me how sensitive the ecu is to air bypassing the mass air flow sensor.
I put NGK Iriduims in about three years ago, when I checked them this summer they didn't need the gap adjusted or cleaned. And they picked up three mpg over the Bosch +4(ugh) they replaced.
Good luck with the 325, these little Bimmers are fun as hell to drive.

Quick Reply: Need a little help. NON-Dodge