2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Selling & Shipping SRS Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Selling & Shipping SRS Airbags

OK, I've gutted both my Second Gen and also my 1996 Crown Victoria, both of which have undeployed Supplemental Restraints, aka Airbags.

I was fat, dumb, and happy listing one for sale on e-Bay when I was greeted with a screen that explained precautions must be taken to properly ship these items. Understandably, these are considered hazardous material that the USPS will not ship. I believe their classification is that of a pyrotechnic device.

Web searches have yielded mixed results. Some people (aka - total idiots) don't understand what the big deal is and just say, "Ship it USPS and play dumb". Yeah, good plan. It only takes a few volts to set one of those off, so imagine what could happen in the event the package incurs a buildup of static electricity -- BOOM. It wouldn't be long until the Feds come knocking on your door and then it's a quick trip to the Gray Bar Hotel.

Near as I can tell, airbags have to be shipped in anti-static bags and then via either FedEx or UPS, both of whom add a surcharge for transporting hazardous materials.

If anyone has any insight for shipping these, please provide details!!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

well, I found this.... But, it's full of legalese, and gobeldygook.

Apparently, laws on this vary DRAMATICALLY from state to state. Air bag is considered a "class 9" hazardous material, and some shippers won't ship them AT ALL. Others want them in a container that will, erm... contain them..... in the event of detonation. Still others just don't care.

Your best bet is probably going to be calling the shipper of your choice, and having a chat with 'em about their requirements. I have seen cost estimates ranging from 20 bucks for hazardous materials fee, plus the cost of the special box, and THEN the cost of actually shipping it..... I have also seen where shipping them cost like 4x as much as a 'normal' item.....

Havin' fun yet?

Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Yeah, I think I'll check with my local FedEx office. With as much as I ship they know me and should be able to assist. Based on what I've read, the airbag has to be packed in an antistatic bag and then wrapped in a special non-expanding bag that will prevent the module's airbag from expanding in the event of a misfire.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how much is an airbag worth?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
how much is an airbag worth?

Based on what I'm finding on e-Bay, about $50/each or even more.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 PM
mibzzer15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the best thing to do here is to have a little fun and hook up the airbag to a battery and blow it up.

Quick Reply: Selling & Shipping SRS Airbags