2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Debating buying this Truck... What's it worth? Opinions

Old 10-31-2013, 12:45 AM
vteric12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating buying this Truck... What's it worth? Opinions

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/4161857340.html (Link of Truck)

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, Truck has 98k miles.

3 inch body lift
3.5 inch fabtech suspension
2 inch front leveling kit
brush guard
wireless warn offroad lights
aftermarket headlights
side steps
pioneer speakers
pioneer head unit
K&N intake
steel 16x8 wheels
285/75/16 tires
Superchip Tuner
bed side caps
towing mirrors
Pilot Fender Flares
35% tint on front 20% tint on rear windows
straight piped with 4" gibson tip
12000 winch
Powertrax locker
Recon Cab marker lights

Any Information would be great,
Thanks

Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

Honestly, a few things that would make it worth it, if the trans is good and the bands aren't adjusted down to nothing, if it tracks straight and the tires aren't wearing abnormally. Take off the air cleaner and open up the TB to see if theres alot of oil in the plenum...it's not a costly fix but if it's been like that for a while it does wear on the engine. Is the dash free of cracks, does it tick, knock, smoke or do anything you don't like when cold started. If it passes all that and the 4x4 is working, yep, probably worth it just in knowing you won't have a bunch of headaches with a 12 year old truck.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:12 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might offer the fella 5k and see what happens. Down here that truck would be almost 10k, so 6300 doesn't seem that far off it runs well and has little rust.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

Anything up north that's totally rust free commands a premium. My truck is currently located in WI, I have zero rust anywhere, not even on the axles or frame....nowhere.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:31 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

lol Me either.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:34 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

thank god for southern life

Old 10-31-2013, 09:15 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran

I'm always a little suspicious buying a vehicle that's been fairly heavily modified by someone else just because you never know what has been "rigged" up...giving the truck the appearance that it will run/drive beautifully but in reality the parts were installed incorrectly or half-assed...inspect the lift components heavily and make sure all required parts are there (drop pitman arm, extended control arms, track bar modification/replacement, etc.). The truck does look like it's in nice shape tho...without all the add-ons it would probably get 6K assuming the underside looks as good as the body.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
I'm always a little suspicious buying a vehicle that's been fairly heavily modified by someone else just because you never know what has been "rigged" up...giving the truck the appearance that it will run/drive beautifully but in reality the parts were installed incorrectly or half-assed...inspect the lift components heavily and make sure all required parts are there (drop pitman arm, extended control arms, track bar modification/replacement, etc.). The truck does look like it's in nice shape tho...without all the add-ons it would probably get 6K assuming the underside looks as good as the body.
Very good points and worth noting.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this truck is a good find to check out to put your hands on. I concur with the points that CSDavies mentions. Most of the mods are cosmetic with exception of the bodylift and suspension lift. Indeed inspect those items for completeness with your own eyes and hands. Drive it to feel for any wobble or suspension related issues.

For 98K miles it's way ahead of the game. Take note of the age of the owner as that can indicate treament. Take note of their other vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debating buying this Truck... What's it worth? Opinions