2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Transmission Help please....at wits end!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Dustanltye
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Help please....at wits end!

Ok here's yhe story I have 2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 360 with 174,000 and I love this truck it is my fav. I have ever owned I have never had any mechanical issue and always serviced on time. I drive a work truck for work so at Max it's only driven 50 miles a week. Well for prob the last 2yrs it will absolutely refuse to shift from 2 nd to 3 rd gear at times you can rev. It until it almost hits the rev limiter and let off the accelerator quickly and it will shift and go thru the other gears fine and up shift and down shift the rest of the gears perfectly. And sometimes it will shift all gears perfect. I know there is some linkage problems because if you come to a complete stop and shift into park it will show reverse on the indicator until it rolls forward maybe an inch then the indicator show park. Cannot get the transmission to connect or communicate to a diagnostic tool. I can't see it being a linkage problem because it shifts the other gears great. Transmission fluid has been changed regularly and it looks great and no burnt smell, have tried countless transmission conditioners. And help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks soooooo much!

Old 11-17-2013, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Trans conditioners will only thrash your trans. Skip them.

When is the last time you had a band adjustment?

As a 'poke and hope' measure, you could replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid with the Borg Warner heavy duty units. The stock fellers are not self cleaning, and can exhibit some odd and strange behavior. (like, what you are experiencing.....)

Old 11-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Dustanltye

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Trans conditioners will only thrash your trans. Skip them.

When is the last time you had a band adjustment?

As a 'poke and hope' measure, you could replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid with the Borg Warner heavy duty units. The stock fellers are not self cleaning, and can exhibit some odd and strange behavior. (like, what you are experiencing.....)
I have never had the bans adjusted. and as far as the pressure sensor and solenoid I may have to give it a try.....I miss my truck! haha. I am pretty mechanically inclined..but not so much on trans besides fluid and filter change. How bad of a job are these? Thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Dustanltye

What about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/46RE-47RE-48RE-518-Governor-Pressure-Solenoid-Repair-Kit-Heavy-Duty-Borg-21350-/190801428055?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Quick Reply: Transmission Help please....at wits end!