2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Custom built trackbar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM
dman12323
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom built trackbar?

Has anyone on here ever built there own custom trackbar. I cant justify spending $300 on a new trackbar when I could make my own for cheaper. I have a few questions though. Im not sure if I should just weld the adjustable one back together and weld another brace on top of it to ensure stability. Or should I just start from scratch and build a whole set trackbar.

1.If I did decide to build a whole track bar, how thick steal would I use?

2.I have a 5inch lift kit on my truck. Would it be okay to make one straight non-adjustable trackbar? Or would I have to make it adjustable for the alignment?

3. Can I make the trackbar straight instead of with that curve? Or does it have to have that curve?

I currently have a 5inch lift and was forced to put the stock trackbar back on because the fabtech adjustable bar literally self destructed at the adjustable part. Ever since then my right tire is getting eatin up literally. Its lost 10% tread within the past 2 weeks.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

What did fabtech have to say?

I would upgrade to the third gen style trackbar. I think you could find one the right size, and probably adjustable... for what they want for a new one. Solve a couple problems at once.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:31 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There really isn't a lot of money to save by making it yourself. Check out Dodgeoffroad's track bars. That's what I would buy.
http://store.dodgeoffroad.com

Old 01-09-2014, 03:03 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As posted building one works out to be about the same cost of buying one. The bar itself is not hard to make as long as you can tig weld. The big deal is the frame end of things, you are going to have to buy a drop-bracket or one that changes it to the 3rd gen style. Mine is built and ready to go in, but that is not happening until spring.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 AM
dman12323
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What did fabtech have to say?

I would upgrade to the third gen style trackbar. I think you could find one the right size, and probably adjustable... for what they want for a new one. Solve a couple problems at once.
After being put on hold for nearly a 1/2 hour. They pretty much said that I would have to go through the site that I bought it from. Sucks because I usually dont print invoices when I buy things online. And believe it or not, they went on and bragged about how strong there track bar was. If anything was to happen it had to be operators (Driver) fault. He then tried to persuade me into buying there newest version of these trackbars. According to him they adjust up to 10 inches now. ehh... Thats a rant for another time though....

Originally Posted by merc225hp
As posted building one works out to be about the same cost of buying one. The bar itself is not hard to make as long as you can tig weld. The big deal is the frame end of things, you are going to have to buy a drop-bracket or one that changes it to the 3rd gen style. Mine is built and ready to go in, but that is not happening until spring.
Yea,this is prob the cheapest option and most reliable. I don't trust my fabtech 5inch trackbar bracket that came with my lift kit or I would have just installed that.. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Custom built trackbar?