2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Seafoam...yeah I know

Old 01-17-2014, 11:18 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Generally the expression is "raped ape".....
I know stewie01

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-17-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dapepper9
I'm also a little curious about seafoam as well. If putting it in the gas tank how much should be used and how full should my tank be? And should I let it idle or actually drive it around? (just really don't wanna screw anything up as I'm still in high school and dad isn't always easy to deal with lol)
Just follow the directions on the can. Lol.

For the record I have never used it in my truck before and have no intentions of doing so.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 AM
P1NKST@FF
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I poured a can in my dodge, made a noticeable difference, Trans am didn't care or hardly smoke but I ran the ***** off it occasionally so there probably never was a good buildup of carbon in that engine. Most notable change it made was in my dads '84 dodge, I think it has a 360 out of a '78 winny and when we sea foamed it it cleared up the idle and a bit of the pop it made under load (he thinks a burnt valve but not sure just letting it run till it pops)

Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If you run your vehhicle hard regularly AND/OR use premium fuel, you will not need Seafoam. Premium fuel has cleaning additives, plus it burns more effectively and thus leaves fewer deposits behind.
Also, continual use of seafoam is not good as it actually lowers your Octane rating!
Seafoam is an oxymoron for a gasoline engine. While is uses it's High flashpoint to clean carbon build-up to make your engine run smoother, it actually causes a reduction in Octane that causes preignition.
Use is sparingly. It is a distillate(kerosene)
It's cheaper to buy kerosene than an overpriced bottle of seafoam. I'm sure seafoam has some additives to raise octane and also has some mild detergents for cleaning, but it's way overpriced IMO. At $10+/bottle, its a ripoff. You can get 2gal of kero for that. There's 16 bottles of Seafoam in 2gal. So your getting ripped off 16X's the rate of Kero.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:55 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
If you run your vehhicle hard regularly AND/OR use premium fuel, you will not need Seafoam. Premium fuel has cleaning additives, plus it burns more effectively and thus leaves fewer deposits behind.
Also, continual use of seafoam is not good as it actually lowers your Octane rating!
Seafoam is an oxymoron for a gasoline engine. While is uses it's High flashpoint to clean carbon build-up to make your engine run smoother, it actually causes a reduction in Octane that causes preignition.
It's cheaper to buy kerosene than an overpriced bottle of seafoam. I'm sure seafoam has some additives to raise octane and also has some mild detergents for cleaning, but it's way overpriced IMO. At $10+/bottle, its a ripoff. You can get 2gal of kero for that. There's 16 bottles of Seafoam in 2gal. So your getting ripped off 16X's the rate of Kero.
Kerosene....hmmm...that would explain all the white smoke....So have you actually used kerosene the same way people use seafoam? Sucking it in through the brake booster line? Or do I need to be the guinea pig?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Since you volunteered!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

If it was "just" kerosene, then yes... but I'm sure it's not, and to the raw product price, you have to allow for packaging and profits for the manufacturer and point of sale.

The other thing is, this is not something that you continuously run every tank, so $10 isn't much in the total operating cost of a vehicle.

Back in the day, we use to use a 50/50 water/methylated spirits mix in the same way (brake booster line) to steam clean carbon deposits from valves and combustion chambers.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:04 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
So you run premium regaurdless of the engines compression ratio? I went to mid octain awhile back in my dodge and saw an improvment in gas mileage instead of using premium

Old 01-27-2014, 07:49 AM
HD Rules
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are aware there's a Seafoam spray specifically made for this application right? I have a can at home waiting for spring. Google Seafoam intake cleaner.

Search this Thread